Sign in with
Your question

CPU multipliers randomly drops under full load(READ WHOLE POST!!!))

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2012 7:35:01 PM

I found that the reason why my CPU and GPU drops have been happening. I won't explain anymore as most of you guys on the forum have seen my 5 or 6 posts about this issue. My multipliers will go from x17.5 to x4, leaving me at 800 mhz during the drops. The multiplier eventually does go back up, and that's when the fps/usage drops end(for some time). On more demanding games such a BO and WaW they happen longer, are more often, and much worse. The very odd thing about this happening is that this ONLY happens under full load. As if I had the opposite of cool & quiet on. If cool & quiet was stuck on at idle the multipliers would drop then when the cpu needs to work it would jump up. I know for sure that at this point the issue is not:
-overheating
-driver related
-software related(happened after fresh installation of windows)
-virus
-bad hardware
-game settings

I have turned off cool & quiet in the BIOS. I'm starting to believe that C&Q is staying on, even though it says off in the BIOS. I've tried a few things in the BIOS:
-overclocking
-underclocking(is this a word?)
-turning off cool and quiet

Specs:
-AMD 965 BE
-ASUS M4N68 T-M-V2
-nVidia GTX 460 1GB
-4GB
I feel like I'm forgetting specs, post if I am. Feel like something is missing >.<
February 2, 2012 10:10:39 PM

I tried to call amd, couldn't find a number. For some reason they think it's a good idea to have at least 50 numbers...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 2:12:38 AM

How do you know that it isn't overheating? I sure sounds like it.

Try updating your BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
a c 120 à CPUs
February 3, 2012 2:27:48 AM

If you have Win7 for instance change your Power Option to Performance.
m
l
February 3, 2012 8:04:00 PM

davcon said:
If you have Win7 for instance change your Power Option to Performance.
Can't find it in the power thingy in control panel.
m
l
February 3, 2012 8:05:05 PM

PreferLinux said:

Try updating your BIOS.
I guess it's overheating yeah, seeing that this only happens at about 55c. I tried calling AMD and ALL of their numbers don't work...
m
l
February 3, 2012 8:05:44 PM

PreferLinux said:

Try updating your BIOS.
Also I know for sure it's not my BIOS, it's my CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 9:17:30 PM

What software are you using to measure the temperatures? It shouldn't have problems until ~62 C, if the temperature is accurate.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 9:36:43 PM

Thanks for telling me to read the whole post, I usually just skip it and offer advice based on the thread title.

Anyway, my question is what are you using to monitor CPU usage? And what model/wattage/age is your power supply?
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
February 3, 2012 9:48:11 PM

mufn said:
Also I know for sure it's not my BIOS, it's my CPU.
MB BIOS and CPU performance is closely linked.
How did you determine a BIOS issue isn't contributing to your problem?
m
l
February 5, 2012 9:57:19 PM

WR2 said:
MB BIOS and CPU performance is closely linked.
How did you determine a BIOS issue isn't contributing to your problem?
Everything that can control my CPU is off in the BIOS. I've reseated the CMOS battery restored factory settings in the bios updated the bios. It's AMD I'm pretty sure of it.
m
l
February 5, 2012 10:01:14 PM

wolfram23 said:
Thanks for telling me to read the whole post, I usually just skip it and offer advice based on the thread title.

Anyway, my question is what are you using to monitor CPU usage? And what model/wattage/age is your power supply?
This whole rig is about 7 to 8 months old but the pc never got used until late august, 650w thermaltake tr2 xr or something like that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2012 11:15:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it is overheating, and that the temperature is just being reported incorrectly, but I could be wrong. Check your heatsink is seated properly, that there is adequate, but not too much, TIM, and that the fan is spinning. Check the fan controls in the BIOS, and also see if it has any temperatures related to overheating. Also, have you updated the BIOS? Just because you have disabled all options doesn't mean it isn't still the BIOS.
m
l
!