Hypertrading would be good for me ?

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Im going for a 3 monitor system so at first i thought an i5 would be enough for me. But while playing i often run A ton of web page + the anti-virus and sometime I even have a movie running. So is hypertrading may be of any use to me or an i5 would be enough ?

First off, it is hyper-threading. Hyper-threading allows your machine to run 2 threads per core. So an i7 would run 8 threads, 4 cores, where an i5 would just run 4 cores. If you overclock the i5 to around 4.5Ghz, that should be fine, but running an anti-virus program can eat a lot of your CPU, and games can to 60% of a core i5, along with movies and web pages, I think that the i7 would help you out. If you have the money, grab an i7.

For "HyperTrading" I recommend Scottrade or TradeKing since they have low transaction fees.

As for Hyper Threading, only programs designed to take advantage of Hyper Threading can do so. Otherwise you get no benefit. Web surfing, playing movies and Anti-Virus programs do not use Hyper Threading. If you were to buy a Core i7-2600k then no matter how many instances of the programs you will be running, Hyper Threading will not be used at all.