Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Archive computer build

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2011 9:53:31 PM

Hello,
I am looking for or to build a computer that will run for fifteen years or more. I need it to run on XP PRO OS so it can read and work with the software (MS Works Suite 2000) that I have. I want this so my kids, when they grow up, can review the files we have had as a family. Is this computer even a possible?
redbeardsoutpost@gmail.com

More about : archive computer build

a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 12:27:17 AM

Not exactly to your point, but expecting a computer today to be relevant 15 years from now would be like asking kids today to fire up the ol' Commodore 64...
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:16:31 PM

You don't need a computer just for archived files. Buy a nice external hard drive of 1 TB or more. I doubt your family files can exceed that size but if they do, there are 3 TB external drives in existence. This is much cheaper, consumes less space, and is more future proof than building a computer. You can always transfer the files from the external hard drive to a newer and better external hard drive down the road. The only problem with this will be reading the files because they will surely be very outdated formats. You will be able to find software though that can read old formats.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2011 12:27:16 AM

Hmm. First, thanks for the information, greatly enjoyed the feedback. I did not make myself clear; and for that I am sorry.
One program that I have not found, by contemporary standards, to open is MS Home Publishing. Digital image Pro had opened those files (as it was an update to Home Publishing) but MS no longer supports that either.
Others have said that WINDOWS 7 had a layer it ran XP programs on, but warned not all MS Programs would work. They added doubt that those prgrams released back in 2000 would.
This is why I wanted to find a way to keep a computer running for fifteen years (or more) with XP PRO OS. I could consider the last twelve years of family photos and projects a wash out (yet my Aunt, Grandma and my dear Mom are all dead -- what I have on those php files are all that is left of them). I could print these files out and hope that the printer ink survives; or I could print and then scan them into a few thumb drives for backing up.
But I was looking for a one step solution by keeping a computer using the same software suite instead of always upgrading to a new computer ($2000. or so spent again), having to relearn the new software of the which I also had to pay out hundreds of dollars once again. It seems such a financial loss, so stupid and a waste of time. I cannot speak for others, but to me this is not what I want to do. When I purchase a truck, I do not buy a new one every five years or so. Why should I have to with a computer, software and printer?
I was hoping this fantasy computer (for I get the impression it is a pipe-dream) could be a laptop computer. Then I could purchase two, put one away with spare parts and not use it until the active one dies.
Lastly, I was told that Macbook Pro last for the twelve years or more, and all iWork software is backward compatable. Is that true? If it is, and all else fails, I may have to leave the MS world for Apple and transfer my files, one by one, to the Apple world. That would take many weeks on my days off and inbetween being a Husband and Dad, but I want a legacy left for my four children. I want them to know who, what, when and where their family came from. Software suits can do this but not when companies no longer support the files.

Thanks for your time and honest feedback.

redbeardsout@gmail.com
m
l

Best solution

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
November 11, 2011 1:22:28 AM

Hello rtimewarrior;

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. This is not about hardware - its about software.
You want to migrate your personal data out of a closed, proprietary software format into something that's likely to be around for 20 years.
You'd hope that Home Publishing should have some method of exporting it's data into some standard, portable formats.

While you're going about that there is no reason you can run a dual boot (full Win7 / full WinXP) setup. Most current hardware easily supports doing that.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
November 11, 2011 1:39:27 AM

rtimewarrior said:
Lastly, I was told that Macbook Pro last for the twelve years or more, and all iWork software is backward compatable.
Macbook Pro has the same 1yr standard warranty as most other laptops. There really isn't anything 'magical' about Macs.
iWork has only been out for a half dozen years or so. Hardly enough time to judge it's backward compatibility longevity.

I'm still thinking a dual boot option is your best bet for the short term.

m
l
November 11, 2011 1:39:55 PM

Best answer selected by rtimewarrior.
m
l
November 11, 2011 1:47:09 PM

Thanks. Now I have to learn how to do this and what system to build. I had just learned, from my own research, that Apple laptops battery is intergrated. You have to send it to Apple for around $200.00, plus you do not have your computer during this time and whoever has it now can review your files too. So all the way around, it seems Apple made a BIG ERROR with the battery. So I seem to be stuck with Windows. Thank You for your feedback.
m
l
!