Choosing parts for WC

O762

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm planning on liquid cooling my i5-2500k and so I've been reading a lot of articles and reviews about different rads, resevoirs, pumps, etc., but with all the parts out there, it's a little hard to chose.

This is what I've come up with so far:

Koolance 1x120mm 30fpi rad
XSPC Raystorm waterblock
EKWB Reservoir
PrimoFlex 10ft Tubing
XSPC Compression Fittings
Koolance Pump, PMP-450

Any feedback on the parts above would be much appreciated, as would any other suggestions.
Oh, and will those compression fittings fit with that tubing?

Solution
No point doing CPU only WCing with only a single 120mm radiator, if you are going to do that you might as well go with something like the Corsair H100. If you are going to do a water cooled system its going to cost you a lot so you might as well go all out and include the GPU in the loop and have a big enough radiator to actually give you a significant benefit over air cooling.
I'm no liquid cooling expert, but I will ask you to think deeply, once more, before going into this. The performance benefit will not be worth the money; I can tell you that. If you do this, be aware that you're doing it for aesthetics. If you're comfortable with that, go for it. If not, get a $50 Scythe Mugen 3 and be fine.

No point doing CPU only WCing with only a single 120mm radiator, if you are going to do that you might as well go with something like the Corsair H100. If you are going to do a water cooled system its going to cost you a lot so you might as well go all out and include the GPU in the loop and have a big enough radiator to actually give you a significant benefit over air cooling.

Solution

O762

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
@kajabla, Thanks for the advice but I think I am definitely going the water cooling direction - to be honest I am doing it partially for aesthetics, but also I've recently started overclocking, and from what I've read, liquid cooling can out perform air.

@hunter315 - If a dual radiator will make that much of a difference, I'm all for it - do you have any suggestions? As for adding my GPU to the loop, I currently have an XFX 6850 and it doesn't generate that much heat but I'd definitely like to have the ability to expand if I do upgrade.

@amuffin, I just looked it up now...probably a dumb question but can the rad be mounted inside cases? I have an NZXT Phantom and it has a space for a dual rad. All the pictures I saw were of it outside. For aesthetic reasons I was thinking about getting a cylindric reservoir, but if the Apogee outperforms the Raystorm I'm sure I could compromise.

It can be mounted in and outside of teh case.

TRENDING THREADS