Sign in with
Your question

Specs on Wifi Cards

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2012 9:46:08 PM

my acer aspire 7750-6423 is brand new and only has a 2.4 ghz wireless n card, I want to be able to take advantage of my new n900 router.

it has the mini pci e card slot
This is the motherboard info:
Motherboard : ACER JE70_HR
Southbridge : Intel HM65 rev. B2
Chipset : Intel Sandy Bridge rev. 09

I have been looking at the Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW since it has intel cpu and controllers im hoping it will work
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultima [...] B0038A9HSK
or the intel 450Mbps WIFI Link 5300
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3006...

My other options would be to go with an updated atheros card but i can't find one with the dual band specs
I realize I will probrably have to fish the 3rd antenna through the laptop but thats ok I have had it apart though if someone knows where the 3rd wire should be ran that would be great (One is on either side of the lcd screen) Where is the 3rd wire run?

Your Help is greatly appreciated

Gary

More about : specs wifi cards

February 3, 2012 2:10:53 AM

I would suggest that you can't just run a third wire somewhere – you would have to change the antenna, and it might not be possible.
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:49:49 AM

What is this n900 wireless router's make?
Your 2.4GHz wireless N card will be able to take advantage of it.....
What makes you think it's not working or going to work?
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 6:21:32 AM

He's just thinking it won't be as fast as it could be, I think.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:26:20 AM

And he feels running a third wire is going to make it any the faster?
Hell's!! I'll put 2 more wheel on my scooter to make it touch 220 if that were the case....
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:31:49 AM

No, I think it is that he's thinking of getting a different network card, which has a third wire for the antenna, and wants to know where it would go.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:33:40 AM

He might as well pigtail it to an external antenna..... external of course or he'll end up with interfering circles causing more of a downgrade than an upgrade.
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:03:06 AM

The N 900 is Netgear, and yes all my wireless connections that use the 2.4 ghz are running a bit faster but the 2 laptops that are wireless n don't connect at the 5 ghz. I knew that I would have dual bands but I just assumed all wireless N would broadcast on 5ghz.
Yes the new card has 3 antennas so I know it can be done there are laptops that have the 3 antennas, just hoping someone knew the best location for the 3rd wire so I don't create the interference etc...

Thanks for all your replies

Gary
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:10:09 AM

glbell62 said:
The N 900 is Netgear, and yes all my wireless connections that use the 2.4 ghz are running a bit faster but the 2 laptops that are wireless n don't connect at the 5 ghz. I knew that I would have dual bands but I just assumed all wireless N would broadcast on 5ghz.
Yes the new card has 3 antennas so I know it can be done there are laptops that have the 3 antennas, just hoping someone knew the best location for the 3rd wire so I don't create the interference etc...

Thanks for all your replies

Gary

wireless n is in the 2.4ghz spectrem

there are very few things that can actually use the 5ghz spectrum.

if you are having signal interference issues, then change the wireless channel e.g. use a program to see what ones are being used by your neighbors and choose a different one or just randomly change it till you find one that is better than the current one
m
l
February 3, 2012 11:53:06 AM

Actually if you Plugged in the card and left the middle socket not connected to any wires, that itself would be like an antenna and not create an interference. Imagine, three circular discs in the XY, YX and the ZX planes of a graph.
m
l
February 3, 2012 12:24:36 PM

shanky887614 said:
wireless n is in the 2.4ghz spectrem

there are very few things that can actually use the 5ghz spectrum.

if you are having signal interference issues, then change the wireless channel e.g. use a program to see what ones are being used by your neighbors and choose a different one or just randomly change it till you find one that is better than the current one

I'm not having signal interference issues I was stating that if I routed the 3rd antenna wrong I could have interference.
Yes I realize that N uses the 2.4 ghz but the whole idea is to move some of the signals to the 5ghz band to get the faster speeds.

I ordered the intel card and will post results.

Thanks
m
l
February 3, 2012 12:27:33 PM

alyoshka said:
Actually if you Plugged in the card and left the middle socket not connected to any wires, that itself would be like an antenna and not create an interference. Imagine, three circular discs in the XY, YX and the ZX planes of a graph.

Thanks I will try this to see how much of a difference it makes before messing with the third antenna.

Thanks for your help

Gary
m
l
!