Your question

Sabertooth 990FX vs. Crosshair V Formula-Z

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2012 2:55:20 AM

I'm thinking to change my mobo and I need advice between two choices :

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

or

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

The Crosshair is 60$ more but I'm wondering if that extra worth the performance. I'm looking something that is specifically stable for long lasting overclocking, practical features for gamers and durability. Let me know what you think ;) 

Here's my initial specs :

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M4N78 PRO
Memory: 4x2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400/800 MHz/Reaper HPC Edition/Dual Channel/CAS 4
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC
SSD: Crucial M4 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Power supply: Corsair HX 650W
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred
CPU heat-sink: Cooler Master Hyper N520
December 6, 2012 3:06:31 AM

I need an answer to this too... Need PCI 3.0 support for an AMD w7000 graphics card. Sabertooth is a board I was looking at because I have an 8150 chip.
Anonymous
January 12, 2013 4:27:25 AM

Well, I too have been in the market for an upgrade from my 965, board, and ram considering I was offered some money for them.

Honestly, I have to say that the Crosshair V has appealed to me more so than the sabertooth, despite having a warranty 2yrs less than the sabertooth, both an Intel nic and integrated sound card (which I already own both a discreet Intel gigabit nic and Xonar DX soundcard), and being $60 more expensive.

Despite those specific bouts of note, I've found that the Crosshair has support for higher memory speeds up to 2400mhz with an overclock, much sharper aesthetics in my opinion, and also sporting alot of overclocking and hardware diagnostic features that are not available or actively advertised on the sabertooth. For instance, there are several different switches and buttons laid out on the board that enable you to check for good ram speeds, post testing the board, and some other things that I do not remember off the top of my head.

All in all, I would say that the Sabertooth or Crosshair are great options; one offering a strong nic and soundchip, Great overclocking utilities, and high ram speed support, the other having a longer (5yr) warranty, military certification, and at a cheaper price without the intel nic (instead sporting the generic realtek) or supreme FX 3 chip (also sporting a generic realtek soundchip) for cost reasons of course.

If you have any other or more specific questions, just ask

-W
Related resources
January 12, 2013 7:19:48 AM

Sabertooth 990FX all the way!
April 27, 2013 3:57:41 AM

If your gaming and overclocking then definitely go with crosshair v formula Z
i have the mobo
and its very simple to overclock
and has many fetures for gaming
and it looks AWESOME!
August 15, 2013 5:05:00 AM

stif3fa said:
I'm thinking to change my mobo and I need advice between two choices :

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

or

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

The Crosshair is 60$ more but I'm wondering if that extra worth the performance. I'm looking something that is specifically stable for long lasting overclocking, practical features for gamers and durability. Let me know what you think ;) 

Here's my initial specs :

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M4N78 PRO
Memory: 4x2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400/800 MHz/Reaper HPC Edition/Dual Channel/CAS 4
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC
SSD: Crucial M4 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Power supply: Corsair HX 650W
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred
CPU heat-sink: Cooler Master Hyper N520

August 15, 2013 5:22:38 AM

I have a AMD 8350 8 core 4.2 on a asus crosshair v formula z and it is atomic speed - so many oc features it's amazing - I'm looking at your set up - just upgrade the cpu and get this mb and you will be very satisfied -
December 21, 2013 11:08:12 AM

Anonymous said:
Well, I too have been in the market for an upgrade from my 965, board, and ram considering I was offered some money for them.

Honestly, I have to say that the Crosshair V has appealed to me more so than the sabertooth, despite having a warranty 2yrs less than the sabertooth, both an Intel nic and integrated sound card (which I already own both a discreet Intel gigabit nic and Xonar DX soundcard), and being $60 more expensive.

Despite those specific bouts of note, I've found that the Crosshair has support for higher memory speeds up to 2400mhz with an overclock, much sharper aesthetics in my opinion, and also sporting alot of overclocking and hardware diagnostic features that are not available or actively advertised on the sabertooth. For instance, there are several different switches and buttons laid out on the board that enable you to check for good ram speeds, post testing the board, and some other things that I do not remember off the top of my head.

All in all, I would say that the Sabertooth or Crosshair are great options; one offering a strong nic and soundchip, Great overclocking utilities, and high ram speed support, the other having a longer (5yr) warranty, military certification, and at a cheaper price without the intel nic (instead sporting the generic realtek) or supreme FX 3 chip (also sporting a generic realtek soundchip) for cost reasons of course.

If you have any other or more specific questions, just ask

-W

Well i was thinking the same thing. But my Advice will be to get the sabertooth, Yeah the crosshair supports memory up to 2400mhz, And the Sabertooth "only" supports 2333mhz and 1888mhz before updating the firmware (lol). But my point is AMD processors only supports memory up to 1888Mhz at this time (without overclocking). And usually the higher mhz memory has more latancy so. it's basically no point. I would advice to get oc memory like the corsair vengeance i have the 1600mhz and i am so happy with them. i can push them to 1888mhz or more if i wanted because of the brilliant heat sinks . So before AMD makes a processor that can handle more ram speed without overclocking them. there is no point. either way which you choose you wont be disappointed. very similar components specs,and programs that comes with both cards
!