Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE vs ASUS XONAR DG

StevenGiangz

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Which one is better for fps games such as BF3, MW2, CS:S, etc...?
What I mean here is like you can hear the enemies coming from a long distance.

My headset: Razer Carcharias
My speaker: Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System

It doesn't matter. You won't be able to hear a difference between either one and your built-in sound card. They certainly won't help you to hear your enemies. If you want to do that, turn the game's music down and the overall volume up :p

False. I don't even know where to begin.

The DG is far and away better then the aged Audigy SE.

Please, do begin. Start with the hearing enemies, as that's more solid.
I've been looking for someone to do a blind test for quite some time, but I still haven't found someone willing to go through with it. Get someone to switch between integrated and discrete sound without telling you about it, messing with the volume to eliminate that variable. If you can tell the difference with a good degree of reliability, I'm sold.

I do support sound cards as amplifiers, but otherwise I haven't yet found evidence that they work better, excepting proud owners who know that their card's on and expect better sound.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdgMQC2rYM
If you can't hear a difference here, I'm concerned for your hearing.

Edit:Whoops, I thought this post was Feb 3, 2013 not 2012.

mhoke63

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
If you are looking for a test for sound quality between a proper sound card and onboard, get a proper sound card and some speakers. Turn the computer on and don't play any sound. Wtih the computer just showing the desktop, gradually turn the speaker volume (not the volume control in the OS) all the way up. You will find there is no background noise with the proper sound card The onboard sound card will have a hiss and/or crackling as the volume goes up. I have done this. This translates to less background noise in both music and games. In my opinion, it is worth it to invest in a good sound card, just as you would a video card.

Considering I've used a good half-dozen soundcards over the past few years, paired with a few dozen headphones, I can say, with absolute certainty, a soundcard, when paired with "not totally crap" equipment, makes a noticeable difference in quality.

The problem is, you have people who think a set of Logitech Z-5500s connected via optical are "not totally crap", and wonder whey they can't hear a difference.