Need a MB with Horizontal PCIE

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hi everyone,

I do a lot of traveling and I like my games but I'm reluctant to spend more than a thousand US dollars for a gaming laptop. So, I'm trying to put together a protable desktop that can fit in a suitcase and accomodate Raedon 7850 in a horizonal maner to keep the case thin as possible. I read an article before with an asus MB that had one but now I can't find it.

My question is does anyone know a MB with such GPU interface or a gaming laptop no larger than 15" screen that is less than a $1000.00.

GAMES: SWTOR, WOW, AOC, EQ at 1080p (or native res for a laptop)

Thank you for your input.

Building a desktop computer to be portable in a suitcase isn't really possible.

Here's a laptop that should fit your needs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310660

It's actually an awesome laptop. The reason that it got 3/5 by people is some idiots gave a really low score because it "only" has a 1360x768 screen which is typical for a 15.6" laptop. The 1920x1080 screen version is $1100.

If $900 is too much, get a cheaper GPU. It's mainly the GRAPHICS that add to the cost. I recommend an NVidia 650M or 660M.

I should add that there are LOTS of great games that run nicely on even a lower-end graphics card like an HD7600M series.

My advice is to pick games that run well on your laptop.

No matter which laptop you get though, viewing angles on the screens are always an issue but you likely know that.

zdbc13

Distinguished

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
All good suggestions and thank you for taking your time to post them. I've looked at the laptops last night and they are getting cheaper as newer chips are coming out. I will save my money and go that route but will still explore the Briefcase idea for later projects. I may even go all out and just do a custom case that I can carry around safetly.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Thank you for looking these up. They are definitely worth considering.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello again. Just wanted to updated this thread. I ended up getting this laptop from Newegg for $679.00.

SAMSUNG Series 3 NP350V5C-T02US Notebook Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 7730M

This should be (I hope) enough hardware to play SWTOR with a decent FPS at native res.

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
you could buy a riser card, it turns it 90 degrees but I doubt it would work because most gaming cards are multiple slots and it wouldn't have anywhere to pull air from if its fans are on the mobo. if it turned right then it might hit the I/O ports. I suggest poke around on newegg or this site here has some beast laptops http://www.originpc.com/

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Dont give up on the Briefcase PC back in the day I put a PC together in an old ammo crate (puter in a box) It was pretty cool.just drill some holes for cords and fans, And if you get a good solid brief case it's totally portable toss in the cords and go, Hotels have modern tv's now with hdmi plugs so in most cases you dont have to worry about packing a monitor, you know I have enuff stuff here to do just that all I need is a briefcase< The hunt is on > LOL Now that's thinking inside the box.. :sol: