Sign in with
Your question

What Did I Get Myself Into? (First Build Help)

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2011 12:47:20 AM

I highly doubt it, but some people might remember me from the thread Motherboard/CPU Purchase Questions. Well I went ahead and did some purchasing. I bought:

Case: APEVIA X-Dreamer ATXB3KLW-BK/420W Black
Motherboard/CPU Combo: ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Now I have admitted this is my first build and I wouldn't think I would be over my head. Actually, if I would have just a new CD/DVD Drive and Hard Drive I would be A-OK right now. But I'm super poor; so I didn't. I was hoping to take the CD/DVD Drive and Hard Drive from the Dell Dimension 2400 that I mentioned was given to me in my first thread but I now realize that they are EIDE and not SATA. It seems to me that I have no way to connect anything EIDE to this motherboard, it all has to be SATA.

Am I correct? Am I screwed until I fork out some more cash? I do have a spare 2.5" SATA drive that came out of an old laptop. Could I just hook that up at the moment and install my OS from a USB Drive? I would at least like to get it up and running.

Help?

More about : build

a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 12:56:38 AM

You can do the laptop drive way yes,
Moto
November 3, 2011 1:08:05 AM

yup you can put a lappy drive in your desktop, I am currently running with a 2.5 laptop drive , Didnt really need the extra 500gb in my laptop.
Related resources
November 3, 2011 1:09:04 AM

you can get a cd rom drive for pretty cheap, typically less than $20
November 3, 2011 1:11:57 AM

Thanks for the quick response, guys. That's what I will do for the time being. I think I can afford $20 right now.
November 3, 2011 1:13:38 AM

If you have a university surplus store they might have a cheap used sata dvd drive.

(maybe being key, depends upon how your local university upgrades)
a c 99 V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 1:22:05 AM

a SATA dvd drive is $19 on Newegg
November 3, 2011 1:28:24 AM

thesnappyfingers said:
If you have a university surplus store they might have a cheap used sata dvd drive.

(maybe being key, depends upon how your local university upgrades)

You would think it would be easy to find a surplus store where I'm at since there are two fairly large Universities but I have not been able to. There are a couple small computer repair stores in the area I'm going to call around to in the morning. I reckon I should have thought of this all the way through before I had everything screwed in and ready to go.
November 3, 2011 5:17:38 PM

Alright now that I have calmed down from that....At the moment I'm going to use the 2.5" laptop drive but I have heard that you can have a 5400 rpm 2.5" and a 5400 rpm 3.5" drive and the 3.5" will still be much faster so I want to get a 3.5" SATA sooner or later.
First, is this true?
Second, I have a 2TB USB3.0 External Hard Drive that I use to backup my pictures, music, videos, etc that I was going to keep connected to this thing at all times anyways. Would there be any reason to partition it and have the OS boot from there?

Just curious.
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 5:29:05 PM

Interesting, the 5400 would be slow obviously, but would the usb 2.0 connection actually be faster?
I reckon the external may actually end up being a better option for the boot disk in your case,
but to re-iterate previous advice, grab a 7200rpm sata 3.5, thats the 'norm' even considering that ssd's are gaining popularity
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflas... might help you
Moto
November 3, 2011 5:40:11 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Interesting, the 5400 would be slow obviously, but would the usb 2.0 connection actually be faster?
I reckon the external may actually end up being a better option for the boot disk in your case,
but to re-iterate previous advice, grab a 7200rpm sata 3.5, thats the 'norm' even considering that ssd's are gaining popularity
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflas... might help you
Moto

It would actually be a 7200 rpm USB3.0 External (my new motherboard also has 3.0 slots). So we would be comparing a 7200 rpm USB3.0 External at max 3Gbps and a 5400 rpm 2.5" internal at max 6Gbps.

Of course I'm going to get a 7200 rpm 3.5" SATA but I'm just using side job money and it took me well over a year to get $216 for the rest of the stuff.
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 7:52:40 PM

I think it might be interesting to tyest each way, just to find out, but my money (if I had any) would be on the external actually performing faster than the laptop drive,
but theres only one way to find out...... :p 
Moto
November 3, 2011 8:05:23 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I think it might be interesting to tyest each way, just to find out, but my money (if I had any) would be on the external actually performing faster than the laptop drive,
but theres only one way to find out...... :p 
Moto

Thanks. I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Good experiment for a little bit at least.
November 4, 2011 8:26:48 PM

Tired of me yet? I think I got myself into another dilemma. So I got everything hooked up, plugged in and connected. I turn on the pc and the motherboard light comes on and I press power button. All lights come on, fans run and it seems like it is going to run but I get nothing (I and connecting it on my TV via DVI and/or hdmi). I don't think this is anything that can be determined from behind a computer screen but I figured I'd give it a shot before I had to bring this somewhere for diagnosis.
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2011 9:54:56 PM

Tired?, no, I enjoy challenges hehe
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post... run through sections three and four, see if you haven't missed any parts out,
I'm not sure if the dvi/hdmi output on your card requires a certain port to be used, maybe a check through its manual could shine a light on that
Moto
November 5, 2011 12:40:15 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Tired?, no, I enjoy challenges hehe
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post... run through sections three and four, see if you haven't missed any parts out,
I'm not sure if the dvi/hdmi output on your card requires a certain port to be used, maybe a check through its manual could shine a light on that
Moto

MOTO!!!! You the man!! I couldn't really tell you what it was that was wrong. Maybe it was the fact I didn't have the 4-pin power connector plugged in. Or maybe it was the fact that I had too many standoffs screwed in. Whatever it was that linked help and it's working now. Now let's see how long it takes for me to run into my next problem. Kudos.
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2011 10:30:01 AM

Too many standoffs is a problem in itself, it can short things out,
the 4pin Cpu line often gets overlooked on first builds so no pressure there man,
Enjoy the new (working) comp and take it easy :) 
Moto
!