Bottom mounted PSU will it cause problems for the GPU?

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Basically the PSU fan blows air at the video card and the video card blows air at the PSU so the are in a sense fighting each other is that a problem? Also, are video card fans exhaust fans or intake fans, and are PSU fans exhaust fans or intake fans (the fan on the top)?

Solution
starvation is the likely problem here, just make sure that you've got a 120m fan directed into the gap between the gpu and psu, i'd advise against sucking air from under the case in any circumstances, dust will either clog the filter and choke the supply on a component that you cannot monitor, or dust will coat the inside of the psu and prevent it from dissapating heat, on a component you cannot monitor.
There's no PSU that I know of that blows air at the video card. If there's a fan located on that side of the power supply unit it is always an intake fan.

If the power supply has an exhaust fan it is always located at the back of the power power supply where the AC power connector and main power switch are located.

Maybe you just mounted it the other way round? Like upside down, could be because your case might not have a mesh on the underside for taking air in.
But, the fact is, that it will be sucking air in and not throwing it out.... the air is going to be pushed out from which ever side that does not have a fan on it and has just vents.
Unless you've gone in for one of those twin fan PSU's.....

Bottom mounted PSU's have the option to either intake are from underneath the case, you will see the intake holes which you mount the PSU fan over, alternatively you can intake air from the case but it will be hotter air. The PSU's exhaust is out the rear of the case. You can feel this by putting your hand at the back of your case where the PSU is, you will feel the air. There is not venting over the GPU, unless it is something new that I have never heard about.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
a good thing with the bottom mounted psu's is that they draw the heat away from the graphics card

i know im getting temps way lower in my antec 300 than in my old case

(think about what you are asking. put your hand on outside of case where psu is, you should feel air blowing into hand

its common sense to be honest, a power supply draws air from inside the case and blows it out the back, the psu is usually the only exhaust fan in most peoples pc's

its quite possible he means the psu is starving the gpu of air. if mounted upside down like i had to i did notice with my old stock gpu cooler that it would struggle to keep temps down due to not getting the required air flow...
if you can mount it the right way up but only if the bottom of the case is vented. if its not you may want to mod the case buy cutting the required size hole and putting a filter over it...

starvation is the likely problem here, just make sure that you've got a 120m fan directed into the gap between the gpu and psu, i'd advise against sucking air from under the case in any circumstances, dust will either clog the filter and choke the supply on a component that you cannot monitor, or dust will coat the inside of the psu and prevent it from dissapating heat, on a component you cannot monitor.

Solution

randomkid

Distinguished

This can be remedied by a good air filter. I mount all my PSU with fan side facing the floor to suck in coolest air available but the filter prevents any dust from coming in. everytime I change the filter, I can see my PSU clean and dust free.

randomkid

Distinguished
I know it doesn't get dirty as you might think to the point of impeding airflow. I am talking based on experience. And how do you think your PSU feel sucking the hot air exhausted by the graphics card?

randomkid

Distinguished

Unless you can prove it with colored smoke & slowmotion film to test where the air from the intake flows, there is no guarantee. The only guarantee is if the air inlets are totally separate which is only 100% true to bottom facing PSU.

Don't you do realize that majority of performance/gaming cases are designed to face down? If you face your PSU up, even the cables will be on the near the side panel instead of towards the motherboard.

Oh well, to each his own.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Wow , 8 " sucking's " and counting . I think its situational . If you have the intake on the bottom of the case and your mindfull of filter maintenence and uh .. say dont have it sitting on the floor .. your probobly fine . " sucking " ( thats 9 )

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

That can really be said of any of the situations. There is no guaranty that a bottom facing psu isn't going to be starved for air, and there is no guaranty that the gpu isn't going to be starved for air without the psu facing upward.