Intel x5365 SLAED, Intel x5365 QWTH?

zildjianl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
What is the difference between intel x5365 SLAED & intel x5365 QWTH?
I'm about to purchase 2 used x5365 "QWTH" for my Mac Pro1,1 but I've been told to get the intel x5365 "SLAED"...?
Please help
Phill

The processors with a specification code beginning with "Q" are typically engineering samples. You generally want to avoid engineering samples as they are nearly always illegally obtained (they are not supposed to be resold) and may be damaged, defective, performs subpar compared to actual shipping processors, or otherwise not as advertised. The only reason to get one is if it's either SO cheap that you are willing to write off the cost as a loss if it doesn't work, or if you desire an unlocked multiplier for overclocking on a platform without the ability to adjust the system base clock. Units that have a code beginning with "S" are production CPUs and fully functional unless somebody damaged them somehow. The biggest reason a CPU gets damaged is some clueless consumer overclocks it and damages it or damages it during installation. Servers aren't usually worked on by ham-fisted neophytes and they aren't overclocked, so buying a used production server CPU is pretty safe.

The X5365 is the fastest CPU that will fit in many boards, and as such carries a pretty high premium. I saw the eBay listing you are talking about with the QWTH X5365s. The other X5365s cost about twice as much as the engineering sample unit, about $320 a pop. I'd suggest going with the X5355 instead (2.67 GHz quad vs. 3.00 GHz quad) as production model X5355s sell for $90-100 as opposed to >$300 for production models or $160 for the engineering samples.

zildjianl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Thank you very much for the info. Guess I'll stay away from those puppies!
I saw on another site called (serversupply.com) It says they are new bulk just processor 275.00 ea. What do you think, know anything about the company?

Never dealt with them, but they appear to be an okay-sized business by their website and product offerings. I'd have more confidence in them than a random guy on eBay.

zildjianl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Thank you for all the great information, much appreciated!
thanks again,
Phill