No sound from USB microphone

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Microphone
  • USB
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 3, 2012 4:08:56 AM

I just bought a Blue Snowball USB Microphone and I cant get any sound out of it through the speakers or headphones. It records fine, but I can't monitor anything. In the sound devices, when I select the mic, the playback is greyed out and recording is the only option that can is selected.

I'm using a fairly cheap PCI sound card (StarTech 4 Channel PCI Sound Card with AC97 3D Audio Effects), that I installed after my headphone jack broke off in the onboard audio card. Is there something I need to do with the hardware to make the USB audio playback, something on the sound card itself?

Thanks.

More about : sound usb microphone

February 3, 2012 5:18:55 AM

If it is a microphone, how are you going to get audio from it? Those would be from your speakers.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:00:25 AM

amuffin said:
If it is a microphone, how are you going to get audio from it? Those would be from your speakers.

What I mean is I can't monitor the sound coming through the mic in my headphones. When you speak into the mic, you should be able to hear yourself talking.

I'm pretty certain it has something to do with my sound card because I use Magic Jack, which is also USB and I stopped getting a ring from the computer speakers after I installed this sound card. The phone itself rings, but it used to ring from the phone and through the speakers.

I'm wondering if there is some wire I have to connect from the sound card to the MB in order for it to acknowledge USB audio.
m
l