Looking for a good case, $90 or less

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
My real budget is $90 is already essentially stretching it. I made a topic here the other day about PSUs, I recently found a way to make an additional $85, so I'm getting a nice case to go with everything else.

Looking at these 3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147047
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147108

Yeah, all Rosewill cases, but they seem to have some of the best ones to be honest. Either way though, I like LEDs, I'd prefer that it come with a few fans. I don't particularly care what site it's from but I'd like for it to be a US site.

I'd go for the Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case but the thing is that is has no support for USB 3...... that's the catch... other wise it's a good case.

But as Newegg already states, the pick goes to Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock
That's already been chosen by us here as the "2011 Tom's hardware: Top cooling performance for value "

Need we say more?

e56imfg

Distinguished
The BLACKHAWK is a solid choice but there is also that new Corsair 300r. It can fit a 6990 with ease and its just $89.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011
http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-300r-compact-pc-gaming-case.html

I would prefer the 300r because it's brand new, just came out like a day ago or something, and it has freakin awesome aesthetics. It has 2 USB 3.0 on the front BTW. Oh and Corsair's quality is UNMATCHED in this price range. (It has dust filters, too)

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
The Rosewill Blackhawk is at the top of my list. I was a tad bit uncertain because usually, despite reviews and awards from any given site, people tend to say not to touch Rosewill in the end. Maybe that's just with power supplies though.

As for the other cases:

1. The HAF case seems to be extremely popular amongst people making new builds, but looking at it, I don't see why. It doesn't come with many fans, doesn't have front USB 3.0, etc. Meanwhile the Rosewill FUTURE does, and at the same price. Just curious, but what makes this one great? I'd love to save a good $30 since I just might be able to buy BF3 along with my new system, but I can't quite see what's so good, is all.

2. The 300R looks good, and it's right in my price range. Will give that a heavy consideration.

3. Corsair 400R for only $80? This is the first case I looked at when I got the extra $85, but the thing is $120 on newegg and out of stock on Amazon. I do assume this is the same 400R? I just purchased and received a 2500k from ncix, so I more or less trust their service, but these discounts seem almost too good to be true with them.

HAF--- High Air Flow...... :) doesn't need too many fans to make it flow.... it just needs the right size and CFM fans to make it go.......
The case itself is very sturdy and well built. Good cable management and very customizable.
That's the reason most people go for it, too many fans create too much noise and pull in too much dust, a few fans giving ample air flow and less of noise & dust is a plus point. And that being such a heavy case, makes it's it less prone to vibrating stuff and other noises too.

Like mine :)
HAF92211.jpg

HAF92209.jpg

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Well after looking at all the items in the thread, it came down to the HAF 912 on newegg or the 400r on ncix. Then I decided to check HAFs on ncix, and the 912 is going for $50, while the 922 is going for only $75. I may very well be sold on the HAF 922, it's down to seeing if the 400r has more appeal or not really.

If anyone has any thoughts on the 400r compared to the HAF 922, would love to hear it. I'm watching videos for each at the moment.

The 922 is big and has no air filters if dust is a concern.=no usb3
Good case though = personally i think they're ugly.
The 400R is a great price and has modern features.Native USB3 and dust filters.
Looks nice to me.
CM and Corsair will have better build quality then Rosewill.
NCIX = awesome! something Canadians have known for along time.

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
After watching some vids, I definitely like just about everything about the 400r more. My only remaining issues are:

1. 400r has no 200m fans. Not a huge deal, but I did want this option. Not a definite selling point by any means.

2. Does the 400r have comparable airflow to the HAF series? There are ways around no front USB 3.0 with extended usb cables and whatnot, but I won't be able to replace a huge cooling difference in a case that can support multiple 200mm fans.

Aside from that, I'll probably be ordering one of these tomorrow (looking like the 400r at the moment, since many of the features it offers are just better on the inside). And yeah, NCIX is great as I'm coming to notice. The processing/shipping is a bit slow, but it's free, which is worth waiting a few more days rather than these 10-20 shipping costs I've been seeing through this building process often enough. Needless to say, I'll probably be checking NCIX for deals any time I buy something in the future =p.

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Through responses here and from a few people elsewhere, I've decided to go Corsair. Also, I did check out that 300r. Only thing is the 400r is actually cheaper than the 300r on ncix, and I'm assuming the 400r is better, though it came out before the 300. Is it just a sort of downgraded version targeting a lower price range, or is the numbering not indicative of quality in this case? Assuming the former, I'll be grabbing the 400r tomorrow afternoon for $79.99 :p

e56imfg

Distinguished

Yes, the 400r is one tier above the 300r but Corsair doesn't simply downgrade their cases, they add innovative features even if it's cheaper. You can't put the 300r above or below the 400r, it depends on the price/performance ratio.

But geez 400r for $79? That's a great deal.

Well, best of luck, but, I must tell you if this is what made you decided you'd better think it over again
"400r has superior air flow with 2 fans in the front and 1 rear fan for exhaust. I would also recommend the 300r "

Not superior in the least....

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Was paid by check, so I won't be cashing that until tomorrow. Needless to say, that delayed the purchase, and now I'm reconsidering again. Still staying under $100, but I'm just tossing this tempest evo into the review pile as well. 400r still looks great, I just wish it had more fans. I intend to buy 2 more 120-140mm fans (probably Xigmatek white LED fans), which will bump the price of that up from $80 to about $100 anyway.

Thread just has me with all these conflicts though >_> lol. More factors go into case selection than I originally thought.