Sign in with
Your question

Can computer become faster after BIOS update?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2012 1:20:58 PM

I was wondering if it is possible for a computer can become faster after updating the BIOS? I never update my BIOS, but I decided to do it for the first time today. It is a Z77 ASRock Extreme4 with stock i5 3570k.

After updating to the latest BIOS, I am noticing lower than usual CPU load % when gaming. Like before it would throttle between 40-85%, now it's 28-55%.

I did install a Hyper 212 EVO yesterday, and noticed no difference, until after updating the BIOS today. I am using the exact same BIOS settings as before (default settings, except some modification to fan speed settings).

So this is why I am asking, if it is a possibility? CPU temp seem to be better now too, but the weather is pretty cold today. Maybe lower CPU temp = less load on CPU? Still runing at 3600.00MHz though...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 1:29:29 PM

bios updates are meant for compability with new cpus, new features, general fixes in bios...as you said your temps hae changed..maybe the new bios makes ur temp sensors more accurate now, as far as lower cpu usage the windows chipset drivers might work better with the new bios making it more efficient it would be easier to say if you ran some benchmarks before and after update to compare dem numbers
m
l
December 7, 2012 6:32:48 AM

I went back to the site and read the description of the update, and found:

1. Update CPU code.
2. Modify CPU load line calibration behavior.

Maybe that's the reason?
m
l
!