Wired gigabit router?

novella123

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hello,

I am a novice to networking. I have a Internet Modem in the basement and two floors of computers. Each floor has its own wired ethernet network that has one wire in the middle of the network reaching down to the basement.

The whole building wants to share the internet connection.

What devices do you suggest for the basement and for each "hub" on the other floors?

Originally we planned to put a router in the basement and share a wifi signal and put an ethernet switch on each floor. But the wifi in the basement has less range than placing the wifi on the top floor.

I was contemplating puting a wired router in the basement and a wireless router on the top floor. Will that work?

If not we could have wireless routers on each floor, but will they cause interference with each other?

Can one be set in the basement to operate on one channel, while the other set on the top floor to operate on another channel?

Keep in mind, I am a complete novice, so ease of set up is a factor -- I know how to create a password for a network but have no experience beyond that.

Any guidance, chiding, or ridicule welcomed.

Thanks!

Given the current situation (wired networks on each floor, all leading to a common router in the basement), all you need for wireless is to place WAPs (wireless access points) on each floor, patched to their respective switches. Just use different channels.