CPU problem, searching for a cooler

Well as the title say I got recently problems with my cooler.
The temperature of my CPU in games jumps up over 80C, which turns out to shut down my system, so I decided to look for an better cooler and found one, so I need some advice if it is really worth buying it.

My current CPU: AMD Phenom II 4x3.1 GHz BE550
Current coller: Stock

Cooler to look forward:

CPU cooler NOCTUA NH-C12P SE14, 775/1155/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3

Building on the proven basis of the successful NH-C12P, which has received more than 100 awards and recommendations from the international press, the NH-C12P SE14 now comes with Noctua's new NF-P14 140mm fan for further improved quiet cooling performance as well as the new SecuFirm2™ multi-socket mounting system. Topped off with Noctua's pro-grade NT-H1 thermal compound and adding support for both LGA1366 and LGA1156, the NH-C12P SE14 is a premium quality quiet cooler that provides lots of airflow for near-socket mainboard components and excellent case compatibility at a height of only 114mm.

Suggestions are always welcome.
7 answers Last reply
More about problem searching cooler
  1. phanteks ph-tc14pe, very good cooler especially if your overclocking to stupid, or you are hitting high temps.

the NH-D14 is actually a better cooler than the c12p, I would advise on that.

There is also the Thermalright Silver arrow, these are considered to best air coolers at this moment in time, I would reccomend you take a look :-)
  2. Thank you for your fast response, the two coolers that you mentioned above, phanteks and thermalright silver arrow are not available at my country right now, but I took a look into the NH-D14 and it is only 5 dollar above the C12P :)

Thanks for the advice, if you know where could I get the thermalright one, post here :)

Also I am free for all other suggestions.
  3. I am surprise that you will get to 80degrees even at stock under normal usage.

If you do not overclock & your case have an exhaust fan, it should stay within normal operating temperature & there should be no compelling reason to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Perhaps you just need to re-apply thermal paste between your stock cooler & processor.
    What is your PC case, anyway?
  4. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=thermaltake+cases&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9352866736573231209&sa=X&ei=GMsrT5auLY7Bswamo8ihDQ&ved=0CFoQ8gIwBg

Thats the case.

Well I get at 66C while idle and 85C till it shuts down in games.
    I have bought a cheap paste three months ago maybe thats the case.
    Also I have unlocked two additional cores of my CPU, but turned them off till I get a solution to this problem :)

If you need some more info regarding it, just ask, I really need help :)

Also I got two chassis fans running with a bottom PSU, if that can anything help.

Also would you recommend me this thermal paste

Noctua's NT-H1 is a pro-grade TIM solution for enthusiasts who demand both exceptional performance and maximum ease of use: A hybrid compound of different micro-particles allows for minimum thermal resistance, excellent ease of use and outstanding long-term stability

I know that the artic one is good, but they are out of stock currently.
  5. Sorry I can not get the link for the thermal paste. Please post again.

As for the case, I think it is a decent case & like I said it should not cause any overheating.
    I suggest you go for a good thermal paste ( xigmatek or coolermaster are not the best but should do the job ).
    I would also suggest to put the fans at the top ( exhaust ) if you haven't done so. Also, the fans at the bottom should be intake but put a good air filter in there to avoid dust being sucked into your PC case.
    If you do not have a lot of fan & have to choose between bottom or top, I say put it at the top ( but still put an airfilter at the bottom of your case since you will have negative pressure ). Best is to get another fan for the intake at the front.
  6. Here is the link from a other source .
    http://www.quietpc.com/br-en-gbp/products/heatsinkacc/noc-nt-h1

But mainly, what should I focus on after applying a paste? Should I get a better CPU fan at all or? :)
  7. Try with just re-applying the paste first. If you do not overclock, there is no need for an better CPU cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling