Intel core duo i5 vs core duo i7 2012

Subs20

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello,

Am planning to upgrade my existing laptop after nearly 4 years. Cant say that I am very tuned into the technicalities, quite the non techie I am:). Just wanted to get some ideas on what processor should I go with when I am looking around to buy a new laptop? On my existing HP dv9701ax (bought in 2008) I have an AMD Turion. The issue with over heating has caused a lot of problems, my display got damaged and I had to put in a brand new display. Now the LAN ports arent working and the battery is completely juiced out so only runs on AC power. Since the LAN ports are screwed, I need to change the motherboard it seems and that comes at about $220, already spent about $250 for the display. It has a 1 GB RAM. Any thoughts or suggestions in terms of which Intel processor I should consider? My usage is primarily downloading music and movies, game a little bit but not too much and too long. Its mainly movies that I use it for..Connect via HDMI to my Plasma and magic!

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Sincerely, Dell have some cheap notebooks, starting at 450 dollars.
Trying to fix, and fix, and fix a computer like that is not the best thing to do. This notebook you soon fade out, get another part broken, and the money you gonna spend would be enough to buy a much better, faster and reliable notebook that comes with at least 1 year garantee.

Look at Inspiron 15 (N5040)

All laptop Core i3 and i5 CPUs are dual core.

Laptop Core i7 comes in both flavors; dual core and quad core. Core i7 models ending with QM are quad cores. Core i7 models ending with M are dual cores.

The difference between a laptop dual core i5-2430m (for example) and a laptop dual i7-2620M (for example) are the higher clockspeeds for most average people. i7 CPUs also have Virtualization, Trusted Execution and AES New Instructions technologies.

Virtualization allows you to run several virtual desktops/operating systems.

Trusted Execution is a security feature geared more towards corporate IT departments and protecting certain data within RAM and the hard drive that are generally considered extremely sensitive in a corporate environment.

AES New Instructions ====> No idea

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I recommend a i5, just for longevity (if you plan on keeping a laptop as long as you have had). However, an i3 will suffice your multimedia needs. As for gaming, you'll want a dedicated card for that. What exactly is your budget?