Sign in with
Your question

Cannot get sound for HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2011 9:35:25 PM

Man I have searched all over and since Tom's Hardware is the best place to go for answers, I figured I could ask y'all.

I just bought a new HP with a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) motherboard. I put in a Gigabyte 9500gt video card in with HDMI output. There is a connection for the sound for the HDMI, but I cannot figure out where to connect it. The plug has 2 separate plug ins that connect to an individual pin each. The sound chip is an integrated ALC888S-VD. I'm not sure how to word this, but it has a pin/chip number 11h with the specs:

Name : SPDIF-OUT2_HDMI
Port : NC
Device : Speaker
Conn. Type : 1/8" Jack
Color : Black

The location in the diagram for the sound chip shows that this is in location #2, which is the second spot on the bottom (in drawing).

Anyway, I don't know how much of that is relevant, but where can I plug these 2 pin plugs at to get sound for my HDMI? Right now, I have to run an RCA cord from my puter's audio jack to my surround sound system. The biggest problem with this is I have to plug and unplug everytime I want to use it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

More about : sound hdmi

September 5, 2011 11:19:01 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for my motherboard explaining what each plug in (or header?) function is?
September 8, 2011 3:25:42 AM

Just wondering if I posted this in the wrong section or if I left something out? I know this is my first post, but I thought this was the best forum for puter issues?
Related resources
a c 132 U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 4:06:07 PM

It's difficult when we can't see decent images of the board or find a detailed manual. I'm guessing here, but it looks like there are two 2-pin outs on your board just below and to the right of the SATA connection ports. Look on your motherboard to see if either of these are labeled S/PDIF.

-Wolf sends
September 8, 2011 10:18:32 PM

Hey thanks for the reply! There is nothing that says s/pdif on the board. Those are jumper pins to reset the BIOS and that kind of thing. I don't know if it's OK to put a link here, but it is from hp's site so it is safe. Mods can remove it if they want, but here is the best info I can find on this motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...
a c 132 U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 10:55:47 PM

Ok. I'm a moron. I saw it and it just didn't register. You cannot use the HDMI audio functionality with that motherboard and that graphics card. It only has one S/PDIF output and that is on the board's rear I/O panel.

Try it with a graphics card that does not require a connection to the motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Yes, you can place links in threads:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...

From here (scroll down about half the page), you can see that the connection labeled "1" is your COAX S/PDIF output.
September 9, 2011 12:44:20 AM

OK, cool, I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, I already had this card and don't have much scratch to buy another. Maybe I can rig up a 3.5mm wire somehow. I think that spdif output plug is an optical, isn't it?
September 9, 2011 12:45:59 AM

Just wondering what the f audio header is? J9?
a c 132 U Graphics card
September 10, 2011 2:25:16 AM

No. That's a COAX (not like your cable company connection) output. F Audio is your Front Audio in/out connection (headphones/microphone).

-Wolf sends
September 10, 2011 3:02:32 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the info, bro!

Just an idea. Do you think I could unplug the F-audio plug or splice into the Faudio wires somehow and run the 2 lines from my card?

And what is the CN3 plug?
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2011 10:20:02 AM

The best way to go about it would be to buy yourself a good sound card and connect it's SPDIF out to that card
Make sure if you buy a sound card it has the SPDIF header on the PCB also and not only the Back IO panel.
They're pretty cheap so you can go in for it.
September 10, 2011 1:27:59 PM

Rt on, I guess I'm just going to stick with the extra wiring and the hassle for now. LOL Thanks for all the help!
!