Sign in with
Your question

My Current Rigs

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2011 11:53:58 AM

Post for signature use, but feel free to comment/suggest!

Preface: I believe in using the right tool for the job - so I have several different computers (4 currently) for different tasks. Primary task will be noted by each one.

Main desktop: "Hardcore Gaming" (I mostly play flight sims, strategy and racing games, but some FPSs - though usually after they get cheaper/older), video and audio editing and VMWare/development

CPU: AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0ghz (small o/c)
Mobo: Gigabye GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870
GPU: Gigabyte 6870 1GB (reference cooler)
RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1333 G.Skill Ripjaw (would have 16, but heatsink blocks a slot)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken SCSK-1000
Boot drive: 60GB G.Skill Sandforce-powered SSD
Storage drive: 1x 1TB Western digital HDD, 1x 500GB Wester digital HDD
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series PCI Express Sound Card
Case (and mods): Lian Li PC-60 (brushed aluminum) - ghosted optial drives, 2x5.25" -> 3x3.5" drive converter with fan, custom side intake fan mount (on grilled portion - window uncovered).
Optical drives: 1x LG SuperMultiBlue - Bluray/HD-DVD player, DVD-RW, 1x- LiteOn DVD-RW
PSU: 850W Thermaltake modular PSU 80-plus certified.
Accessories: Microsoft HD webcam, all-in-one USB card reader, Xbox360 wireless accessory receiver with controller (white), wireless logitech laser mouse w/ adjustable on the fly dpi, logitech wave keyboard (wired)
Network: Gigabit Ethernet (mobo) - also has a Gigabyte 802.11 b/g card but not in use.
Display: 3x1 Eyefinity (1x 1920x1080 Samsung 24", 2x 1280x1024 17")

-------------------------------------

HTPC: Streaming, playing and storing video/audio, light gaming (whatever it can handle that I can play with a Xbox360 controller), light web browsing

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1ghz
Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA1155 MicroATX (RoG)
GPU: Asus AMD HD 6570 1 GB (best I could find in low profile)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 G.Skill Ripjaw
Boot drive: 60GB ADATA SSD
Storage drive: 2TB Samsung EcoGreen
Case (and mods): Silverstone ML03B HTPC case (half height - awesome look):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Optical drive: LiteOn Blu-ray Reader/DVD-RW
PSU: 400W Silverstone Strider, non-modular
Accessories: WMC remote (IR), Xbox360 wireless accessory receiver with controller (black), bluetooth logitech media board - keyboard with integrated touchpad
Network: Netgear simulataneous dual band USB - 802.11 a/b/g/n (currently using 5ghz)
Display: 1x 55" Insignia LCD HDTV

Primary Laptop: Daily personal use, runs 24x7 on my coffee table, web browsing, chatting, forums.

Toshiba Satellite A505 16.3" widescreen (720p)
Core2 Duo T6600 @2.2ghz
Integrated Intel Graphics
4GB DDR2
500GB HDD
Win7 HP 64-bit
DVD-RW drive
802.11 b/g/n (2.4ghz only)

Netbook: Travel computer (Toshiba is way too heavy), mobile very light gaming (emulators and older games), video/audio (particularly on airplanes)

Acer AspireOne AO722-BZ454 11.6" widescreen (720p)
AMD C-60 APU (dual core 1ghz, turbo to 1.33ghz)
Radeon 6290 discrete-level integrated graphics
4GB DDR3
250GB HDD
Win7 HP 64-bit
802.11 b/g/n (2.4ghz only)

Other odds and ends:

Network is powered by an Asus "Black Diamond" (RT-N56U) router - features gigabit-e, simultaneous dual-band n wireless, and a USB hub. USB hub is used to share a 16GB "network drive". Also, a Brother multi-function laser printer/scanner/copier is attached and shared via wifi.

Various external HDDs (120gb, 500gb and 3TB (USB3))

PS3 for pick up and play gaming/Move

More about : current rigs

a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 1:58:37 AM

Nice looking builds. Not super high-end, but they look as though they do the job pretty well. Might be just me, but it looks like you like to match up parts relevant to one another (case/psu; gpu/mobo)? Guess I'm not the only one that likes matching parts :D 
November 4, 2011 2:16:47 AM

AbdullahG said:
Nice looking builds. Not super high-end, but they look as though they do the job pretty well. Might be just me, but it looks like you like to match up parts relevant to one another (case/psu; gpu/mobo)? Guess I'm not the only one that likes matching parts :D 

I actually didn't set out to match them, but it happened that way! I actually had a Sapphire 5770 in the desktop originally, but got a good deal on the 6870. I am pretty picky about brands - so if I only consider maybe 3-4 brands, its not a shock to have some matching.

The desktop could be a bit better (SB or a 6950), but you don't really need a 6950 for Dirt/NFS/Grid and Starcraft :)  And when I built it, I was looking at Phenom x6 vs Core i5 750, which was pretty close (i5 won slightly in games, x6 in multitasking). Since I knew I'd be running video transcodes and sometimes several VMs, I went with 6 physical cores. I'm thinking I'll upgrade the mobo and proc when Ivy comes around, or maybe the one after that. That said, I haven't been disappointed with the x6 :) 

If anyone knows of better low profile (half-height) GPUs out there for the HTPC, I'd be up for an upgrade!!
Related resources
November 4, 2011 2:28:05 AM

Also: edit - I went back and added the sound card in there.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 2:38:58 AM

you dont need a sound card all you need is a set of speakers
November 4, 2011 2:43:13 AM

Emelth said:
you dont need a sound card all you need is a set of speakers

Umm...speakers create the sound from an analog or digital source. Sounds cards decode digital audio streams into something speakers or a receiver can understand. They are fundamentally different.

Perhaps what you mean is that sound cards are irrelevant since onboard sound is so good these days. That statement I would largely agree with - the sound card sounds slightly better out of my setup (5.1 surround, thx certified), but not worth the $150 that card costs....but certainly worth the $0 price I paid :) 

And it does offload the processing from the mobo, so that helps a bit.
November 4, 2011 4:15:02 AM

AbdullahG said:
Low-Profile GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just get a Mini DisplayPort cable (should have a DVI/HDMI/VGA end for your monitor).

Thanks - but that card is single slot, but not "low profile" (low profile cards can be tall, but the case slots are half height - this is what I have for reference (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) - note that the bracket installed is full size, but the PCB is half-sized, and it comes with a low profile bracket.
June 26, 2012 4:00:18 AM

Not a bad rig! Good choice on amd processor/video card! :)  think you need to overclock that bad boy a bit though i think.
June 26, 2012 10:44:50 PM

EchoOne said:
Not a bad rig! Good choice on amd processor/video card! :)  think you need to overclock that bad boy a bit though i think.

The 1055T is as overclocked as it can get, sadly :(  it's unstable at anything over 3ghz.

July 20, 2012 3:40:46 PM

Nice builds. I like the netbook....
August 12, 2012 1:45:27 PM

i am try to find out what power suppy i need for a maxtor onetouch 4 the voltage amps and polarty and if i ma ask what dose this symbol mean

------ or _____
____ ---------
if you can help it would be greatly appricated thx
!