Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CM Storm Trooper VS Corsair 500R

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 11:56:15 AM

Hey everyone, having a bit of trouble deciding which case to get. I currently have the CM Storm Enforcer (200mm in the front, 1 120 in the back and a 120 in the top) it has great air flow and one thing i like, a Side Winow. But however I am running SLI and that means the internals on my case is pulling more air in, thus making the dust filters to clean more often. I would like a case that is Easy to Clean dust filters. I have considered the Haf X and the 932 but i can get a trooper for about the same price now. I have looked at the trooper and even though you can't take the filters out they were better constructed than the 1 filter my case has now. I have learned that a monthly or in my case every 3 weeks, a good old shop vac clean up does the trick.

Pleas Try to avoid recommending me random cases. Because i have my mind set on these 2. But...If you can name some things you like more about the 932 or the Haf x please comment. Just don't recommend these ultimate full towers that are over 200$. my first case cost me around 100$ at my local Comp USA. i have parts for another computer and plan to put them in the enforcer case
a c 122 ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 1:11:37 PM

Get the Corsair.
HardwareSecrets reviews have determined that some Coolermaster PSUs still have liar-labels on them, or claim to have protection circuits that are in fact missing. That's dishonest, and a dishonest company does not deserve anyone's business, for any of their products. So, get the Corsair.

By the way, I would not recommend using a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. They can create an incredible amount of static as the dust goes whooshing up their hoses. A tiny spark that you may not even feel might still manage to kill something in your PC. Take it outside on a nice day and use a can of pressurized air on it.
m
l
February 3, 2012 1:52:40 PM

IMHO the 500R is a much better case than anything from CM all things considered and the most important aspects being Price, Quality, Case layout functionality, and esthetics personally I think all the CM case's look cheap like a kids play toy and Corsair cases look and feel like quality, clean, mature, functional pieces of media equipment. PS 500R/400R own it in price/performance/functionality.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 2:02:40 PM

"I have considered the Haf X and the 932 but i can get a trooper for about the same price now." I examined the same problem and am SO GLAD I got the Storm Trooper. The Storm is the next generation case and--for the money--is the best case available. The best case out there is prob the Cosmos II, but it is $350.

Some Advantages of the Storm Trooper:
1. Intelligent cable management with space behind mobo, no sharp edges, etc.
2. The HDD cages can be turned 90 deg to max airflow...There are two cages that hold 4HDDs each with their own fans; they can be turned 90 deg to blow heat out of the side of the case when loaded so hot air does not blow onto the mobo. But if they are empty, you can turn them to blow cool ambient air into the case...excellent feature.
3. the case is made of high quality materials. The side panels are not flimsy; they can be removed easily.
4. there is a badass handle on the top of the case that makes moving this full tower easy...I will never buy a case without a handle again. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to grab a 50 lb case with one hand rather than getting on my knees to get leverage and searching for a grip...the handle rocks
5. The storm has removable FILTERS on the bottom and top that are easy to clean. nice feature.
6. Big fans. Lots of air flow.
7. Intelligent connections on front of case
8. All the HDD cages and fans can be removed to install something like 4-6 radiators if you are into water cooling. This is an awesome feature for overclockers and modders...There is lots of room inside. This is a nice option.
9. supports 14HDD

Note: there is space to add two more fans on the side panel, but they are not included.

Go to a store near you that has the case. Examine the quality. Compare the HAFX and Storm side by side. Read through the reviews. Note that the Trooper is a new product, so there is not as much feedback out there, but it will come.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 2:03:28 PM

Thanks Everyone, Yea i have considered the 500R because its cheaper, (Its not a full tower tho) thats the only biggest con i see. I will miss my side panel window
m
l
February 3, 2012 2:29:02 PM

Ok, so I dont know how updated you are on cases, so I would just like to point out a few more. Have you looked at the Corsair 550D Obsidian Series? It is roughly the 500R but its got some magnetic dust filters that look very easy to clean and has sound dampening. Next is that Cooler Master is coming out with 2 more cases, HAF XM and Storm Stryker. The HAF XM is blah/whatever, ok its another new HAF. The Storm Stryker is the exact same case as the Storm Trooper but in white and comes with a side window. Now with that all being said, I am asking myself the same question. I am about to do a new build in a few months and have been trying to figure out which case to go with and have narrowed it down to the Storm Trooper or Corsair 550D. It is a hard choice, since both offer so many great features. I honestly don't believe you can go wrong with either. How many HDDs do you have? if you've got less than 3 then get the corsair. i think the corsair will have better airflow if you are able to take out the top HDD cage. Also, maybe someone can clear this up, but if you take a HDD cage out of the Trooper do you lose a fan then? Though maybe how the HDD cages are designed, you don't need to take them for better airflow. I am leaning more towards Corsair because also on the Trooper you have individual filters to clean on the front which is no fun...
m
l

Best solution

February 3, 2012 3:32:04 PM

no you don't lose the fan in the storm trooper when you rotate the cage 90 degrees. It is attached to the cage. Watch some review videos online to see how it works. It's a great system.
February 3, 2012 3:49:56 PM

Rockdpm said:
Thanks Everyone, Yea i have considered the 500R because its cheaper, (Its not a full tower tho) thats the only biggest con i see. I will miss my side panel window

Unless you want to liquid cooling the 500R will efficiency house any amount of hardware unless you want 4way CF/SLI and no sane person would so I mean there really is no functional point of a full tower when a case like 500R does everything very very well.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 4:04:08 PM

Well i am still leaning over the trooper, i like having USB ports in the front' so i can just quickly put in a Thumb drive real quick to import a video or plug in my camera, with he 500R all ports are full by this time. with the trooper i'd still have 2 extra ports. Yea i know i have one of them 1 usb to 4 usb extra port adapter things. But i don't need it if i got the extra ports. I like a full tower so i will be future proof getting a long video card one day
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:11:25 PM

Rockdpm said:
Well i am still leaning over the trooper, i like having USB ports in the front' so i can just quickly put in a Thumb drive real quick to import a video or plug in my camera, with he 500R all ports are full by this time. with the trooper i'd still have 2 extra ports. Yea i know i have one of them 1 usb to 4 usb extra port adapter things. But i don't need it if i got the extra ports. I like a full tower so i will be future proof getting a long video card one day

500R supports like a foot and a half long cards if you need it which you won't just like kilowatt PSUs they are going the way of the dodo bird hardware is getting more efficient, cooler, and smaller is the name of the game.
m
l
February 3, 2012 9:46:51 PM

I am in a similar situation (choosing between the CM Storm Trooper and Corsair 550D and Corsair 650D). I am leaning toward the CM Storm Trooper or Corsair 650D (with an additional drive cage on the middle bottom which I will have to purchase from Corsair as an accessory). With both I will be intaking air at the top with the Corsair H100 so the only exhaust will be at the back of the case. I will have to add an internal 120mm fan attached to the HDD cages to push air to the back across the GPUs and out of the case. I will end up using nearly all the HDD/SSD drive trays in either case so if I get the Trooper I will aim the HDD cages to the side.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 10:57:42 PM

4thSilver said:
I am in a similar situation (choosing between the CM Storm Trooper and Corsair 550D and Corsair 650D). I am leaning toward the CM Storm Trooper or Corsair 650D (with an additional drive cage on the middle bottom which I will have to purchase from Corsair as an accessory). With both I will be intaking air at the top with the Corsair H100 so the only exhaust will be at the back of the case. I will have to add an internal 120mm fan attached to the HDD cages to push air to the back across the GPUs and out of the case. I will end up using nearly all the HDD/SSD drive trays in either case so if I get the Trooper I will aim the HDD cages to the side.

If your case, the trooper would be the 1 choice i'd pick. I think am gonna get the trooper. I just wanna know how long its gonna stay the price it is now. I know CM lowered the price for it for they're 20th aniversary. If its not gonna be much longer then i'm gonna go ahead and jump on it with that price. Plus I have looked at the upcoming stryker. Which is a White trooper with a Side windows and still has some fan intakes. But lets face it. By the time you spend the money for it its gonna be well over 200$ for the stryker. If it worth it just to have a side windows. When most people take the auctual Side off to show off rather than a 7X 9 inch peep whole to look in
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2012 2:23:20 AM

I went with the trooper! I have to say i am liking it. The Handle is just too awesome. Plenty of cable management and room in the case. I highly recommend it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2012 12:15:57 AM

Best answer selected by Rockdpm.
m
l
!