Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed for PC upgrade - thanks

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2011 10:30:03 PM

I have a gaming PC around 3 years old now and its got to that time to think about upgrading my current system or buying a new system in order to play the upcoming new games this winter

Unfortunately my knowledge of PC hardware is limited and I don’t know where to start with upgrades and would therefore appreciate any help or advice on what to do.

My aim is for a mid-range system able to handle the latest games such as Deus-Ex, Shogun 2 and Battlefield 3

My current system has the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 1066FSB SKT775
XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3 Extreme (Limited Edition)
ANTEC Full Case Nine Hundred
ASUS SKT-775 P5K SE S/L 1333FSB
500 GB SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 16MB
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
GEIL 2GB DDR2 800 CL4.0 Dual Channel Black Dragon Ret (Recently Upgraded to 4GB)
Thermaltake Blue Orb Ii (CL-P0257)
Hiper Power 580W Low Noise/Sli Ready

I’ve just upgraded the memory to 4GB and was thinking of getting Windows 7 OS and upgrading to this new graphics card:-
(EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card)

Thing is that I don’t know if this would even be combatiable with my current system and power supply/motherboard? and if it would be worth upgrading to? if there was only going to be a ‘bottleneck’ elsewhere with the processor etc.

If any other upgrades are required I have a budget of up to 350 pounds

Any help and advise on this would be greatly appreciated :) 

More about : advice needed upgrade

a c 172 U Graphics card
September 5, 2011 11:07:18 PM

for a start, you really need to OC that CPU to 3ghz to be able to play the games you want at decent FPS. If your not comfortable with OC'ing i suggest a cpu/motherboard upgrade before going any further. Your psu is not really a good make, but it will probably do for a gtx460/amd 6850, wouldnt go any more powerful than that though.
September 6, 2011 8:21:34 PM

Thanks for the advice iam2crowe.

Is it relatively straight forward to Overclock the CPU? - haven't tried it before but I'd be willing to learn about it and give it a go.

Is there any useful links for learing about OCing a Q6600 processor?

Didn't realise my PSU was that bad - are they easy to replace?
Related resources
September 7, 2011 12:58:43 AM

I searched you tube for instructions on overclocking my q6600. I have mine running at 3ghz.
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 2:33:42 AM

if you want to overclock there is plenty of information if you do a google search. You can normally get to 3ghz by increasing the FSB and increase the voltage a little bit. The trick to overclocking is to do small amounts at a time. Try bump it up 100mhz at a time first to 2.5, then 2.6, 2.7 ghz until you get to a point where it becomes unstable and go back to a stable setting. Do LOTS of reading before you overclock. And always check the cpu temperature, overclocking increases heat and you will probably need a better CPU cooler. Overclocking is well worth the effort IMO, you get more performance for none, or little cost.
September 7, 2011 9:44:46 PM

Thanks for the advise on overclocking - I think I'll need to do some light reading on it this weekend!!
!