Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good psu? NEED ANSWER BY TOMMOROW!!!

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2012 11:58:02 AM

I have a cooler master extreme power 700w psu and i have problems with it (VERY VERY LOUD FAN!!) and i might have a chance tomorrow to buy a gigabyte odin 720w psu
what i was wondering about is that if i upgrade my cpu+mobo to ivy bridge (best i7 ivy bridge before extreme series) will my psu be powerful enough to cope?

any replies will be GREATLY appreciated
February 3, 2012 12:06:53 PM

Quad Rail PSU, not many reviews out there which are usefull, from what I can tell it isnt 80+ rated at all but there doesnt seem to be many complaints out there.

Dependant on your GFX the 720W should be perfectly fine for pretty much anything.
I would reccomend you look for a different one, ideally which is 80+ rated. Corsair tend to have good reviews and quality power supplies.

I recently got the XFX xxx 750W, single rail PSU with 80+ (88%) silver rating. From what ive seen its a very nice PSU with also good reviews, either corsair or the XFX xxx series are my recomendations :-)
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 12:10:04 PM

Where do you live? Most likely if you told us your budget and what graphics card you plan to use with this Ivy Bridge build we could suggest something much better for the price.

Besides, what do you need 720w for?? I'm sure a 500w would be more than enough.
Related resources
February 3, 2012 12:11:18 PM

not sure that is good always use famous brands like antec,xfx,corsair etc.
a c 121 ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 12:13:10 PM

A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Crappermaster is not.
February 3, 2012 12:28:17 PM

Ok sounds good im planning on keeping my 6970 for my new ivy bridge build.
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 12:34:18 PM

Gigabyte is not doing themselves a favor with their psu offerings. That particular unit is made by FSP so it may be ok, but they are also guilty of using the peak load for the labeling of their units.

I would steer clear of their psu's.

eta: It would really make me not want to buy their motherboards anymore, but the other motherboard makers (ASUS, MSI) are not any better with their psu lines.
February 3, 2012 1:15:33 PM

totalknowledge said:
Gigabyte is not doing themselves a favor with their psu offerings. That particular unit is made by FSP so it may be ok, but they are also guilty of using the peak load for the labeling of their units.

I would steer clear of their psu's.

eta: It would really make me not want to buy their motherboards anymore, but the other motherboard makers (ASUS, MSI) are not any better with their psu lines.

i agree bought a gigabyte powersupply for old pc when psu was failing and

im really disapointed with it

got an ocz one now and its much better. you cant got wrong with a 80 plus power supply

as a general rule, the ones with longer manufacturer warranties are less likely to go wrong and usually have better support but this isnt always the case

its the same as insurance there betting that nothing goes wrong with it in that time frame
February 3, 2012 3:41:44 PM

Ok my brother has one of them and its lasted a long time? really quiet and has never failed?
But maby corsair is the way to go? what sould i go for? Corsair vs Gigabyte.
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 5:13:01 PM

Corsair without question.
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 5:16:45 PM

The gigabyte psu could be damaging your brothers graphics card, and other components. He won't know what it is doing until stuff starts to die.
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 5:16:55 PM

CM extreme power 700w = terrible unit i doubt it's even 500W continuous
Gigabyte Odin 720w psu = much better product but still a poor choice.
If you can source an Antec or Corsair = do so!
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX... = only delivers 450W continous.
February 4, 2012 3:45:29 AM

Thanks guys for all the help it looks like it has to be the gigabyte or corsair but I might not be able to get Antec because the don't have antec last time I checked (a week ago) but I'm going down to the shop now had to make certain on the power supply because its a long trip (90km)
February 4, 2012 11:18:38 AM

i got back with a corsair GS800 and its freaking huge barely fitted the cable into the cable management area but now its sooooo quiet. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 2:00:33 PM

a_tractor said:
i got back with a corsair GS800 and its freaking huge barely fitted the cable into the cable management area but now its sooooo quiet. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

That unit will serve you well !
Enjoy:) 
February 4, 2012 3:38:24 PM

Thanks guys for all the help.
!