Sign in with
Your question

My computer won't boot

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2012 6:35:30 PM

I built my new computer about a week ago and as soon as I got it working it was great until I got home yestrday from school. The darn thing wont start, the fans and leds come on for about one second then turn off and keep repeating itself. I have no clue whats going on, I tried different Power supplies. I think the mobo might have gone bad or the cpu. Any help is appreciated. Please reply as soon as possible!

My Specs:
Mobo = AsRock z77 extreme3
cpu = intel i7 2700k
ram = gskill sniper 8gb
case = Cooler Master elite 431

More about : computer boot

a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 6:55:48 PM

Very odd behavior. Do you receive any beeps on boot?
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:03:23 PM

dugan118 said:
I built my new computer about a week ago and as soon as I got it working it was great until I got home yestrday from school. The darn thing wont start, the fans and leds come on for about one second then turn off and keep repeating itself. I have no clue whats going on, I tried different Power supplies. I think the mobo might have gone bad or the cpu. Any help is appreciated. Please reply as soon as possible!

My Specs:
Mobo = AsRock z77 extreme3
cpu = intel i7 2700k
ram = gskill sniper 8gb
case = Cooler Master elite 431

Try removing your Graphics Card, booting, shutting down, and replacing your Graphics card and booting again. Sometimes the voltage can get all effed in the Card and requires a bit of a grounding. Also, if you have another Graphics card, try that and then replace it with your new one if/when it boots.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 7:03:43 PM

No, to be truthful i dont even know if the speakers are plugged in right. It probably isnt even on long enough to beep. Could it be a short circuit?
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:04:27 PM

Using integrated graphics. But also got an old geforce 210 i can try
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 7:07:06 PM

You could try and removing memory and seeing perhaps if you have a bad stick of ram. Shooting in the dark here.
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:09:01 PM

I tried removing one. Should I try just the other stick?
m
l
December 6, 2012 8:37:50 PM

UPDATE:

It is definently not the ram, psu, or hard drive. Tried three psus,Tried 1,2, and no ram sticks, Tried it with and without the hard drive plugged in.

Should I try to RMA the motherboard and cpu?

Thanks for all your replies so far!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 8:42:18 PM

What I would do is start doing process of elimination I would actually go to a store and buy a motherboard at least then you can try it out and see if it fixes the issue if not you can return it and claim that the motherboard does not work. Just what I would do.

Another thing I think you should try before you do that is to reset your bios. I'm not sure if you overclocked or had a wonky setting in place so you may want to try that a lot of newer motherboards have a switch or a reset switch at some point there is also in some cases a pin that you can set to reset and remove then place in the bios battery as well. Trying to think of everything you could do without going through more hassle then needed.
m
l
!