EVGA gtx580 overheating

carter56

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hey everyone,
I am having issues I believe with my graphics card. After playing a graphically intense game on the highest settings (Rift, Total War) for about ten minutes the game just freezes and an awful noise comes over the speakers and i have to restart my comp. I turned down the video settings in one of the games and was able to play for a solid 45 minutes without freezing. I monitored my GPU temps and they were into the 80's spiking even higher... and seemed very hot. I am new to computer builds so any help would be appreciated. Do I need to buy an aftermarket cooler? My system should be pretty well ventilated its the new Corsair 600T case and is not crammed up with stuff.

Thanks A lot

Are you sure that the fan is working on the card and the both the 6 and 8 pin power cords are pluged in all the way on the card. What co you have for a power supply ? Those temps are very high , which model did you get from Evga. The good thing about Evga is that they are extremly good with thier warrenty and the tech support is very helpful. Did you register the card with Evga , because you can RMA it and they will send you a new card. They will also cross ship an rma.

carter56

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Thanks for the response Inzone, Its the "EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card". The power supply is a Corsair HX 850 professional series. The fan appears to be working or at least spinning but maybe its not spinning fast enough or something... and yes i did register it with EVGA and have a call into them so hopefully tomorrow they will be able to help me out.. Let me knwo if you have any other thoughts.