Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ASUS Sabertooth z77 - One PCI-e slot not recognizing video card, RMA?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 6, 2012 6:51:17 PM

So I'm starting a new build for myself, giving my older ASUS Premium P6X58D to my girlfriend.

This is the setup:

GSkill Ripjaws, 1600 8gb x4
ASUS Sabertooth z77
Intel 3770k
Zalman S9500A CPU Cooler
Cooler Master HAF Tower
XFX Radeon 6950 x 2 , 2GB
Rosewill Lightning 1300W
Samsung Pro 840 SSD, 256GB

The system boots just fine, but will only recognize 16GB of RAM. I've tried each individual RAM slot and booting with all the sticks I have and each one will boot individually. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I change the # of RAM sticks, the Clock speed on the RAM changes ( not sure if this is relevant ).

What worries me more - because honestly I might be able to live with 16GB of RAM - is that my two Graphics cards do not work in Crossfire. In fact, my second PCI-e Express port, when I install a 6950 in it, doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm wondering if this is time to RMA, or if there is anything else I can do to bring this thing back. I'm fairly inexperienced as far as builds go ( this is only my second ) , so I'm curious as to if there's anything I can do to "shock" it back to life.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2012 9:09:12 PM

Let's just start with the PCIe issue, and then we can come back to the RAM issue.

Have you tested both cards, individually, in all three x16 slots? We want to rule out the possibility that one of the cards is bad, as well as try and pin down whether or not you've got a bad x16 slot.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 9:10:13 PM

Yeah, I have tried both of the cards in the first slot, PCIe_x1. I have not tried either of the cards in the third slot, I did not think that was necessary. Both video cards work individually fine. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 6, 2012 9:17:15 PM

jacksonmills said:
Yeah, I have tried both of the cards in the first slot, PCIe_x1. I have not tried either of the cards in the third slot, I did not think that was necessary. Both video cards work individually fine. :) 


Okay, and just to make sure we have a clear picture of the situation. When you say that it doesn't work in crossfire, do you mean the system doesn't POST? Does it POST but not load the OS? Does the OS load but the cards don't work as a single linked unit? So, you press the power button on the computer, and what happens?
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 9:25:27 PM

I cannot tell exactly what happens when I have a singular card in the second slot, but it seems like the board POSTs and the OS loads, since I hear the Windows chime coming through my speakers. So I just do not have any visuals ( monitor ). When I plug two cards in , the second card is not recognized. When I go into the devices list, I only see one. When I go into the BIOS , it says no device detected ( under PCIe_x2 )
m
0
l
December 7, 2012 4:00:32 PM

I just tried this again today and got essentially the same result. The board POSTs, the OS loads ( I hear the Windows Login screen chime ) but the monitor does not receive a signal from either video card in the second slot.
m
0
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 7, 2012 4:32:03 PM

jack lets start out by looking at the mb bios code. the boards when new shipped with 0906 rev on them. boot into your bios and check the rev of the bios.the last bios is 1708 on asus web page. if your bios is higher then 0906 then use the usb flash back port and a usb stick and flash the bios to the 1708 bios. if the bios is 0906 dont jump to the last bios. go int oyour bios first set it to default and then save and exit and then use the usb flash back and slowly update the bios and reset it between usb flash back updates. there is a known bug with asus boards and bios updates sometime after doing an update when you hit shutdown the board looks like it shutting off but the fans keep on running. if that happens to you turn off your power supply and unplug it from the wall let the mb green led drain and then clear the cmos. make sure you installed from the mb cd or from intel the newest intel chipset driver. also check in the bios that you have the pci video card bus speed set to auto as default and the pcix_3 setting to 1x default. if you set it to 4x per the asus guild it turn off the other pci ports. if the second card not seen try changing the pci bus speed from auto to 2x mode for both slots. see if it a multplex chip issues. the last thing to try is try turning off onboard video.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 7, 2012 4:39:02 PM

jacksonmills said:
I just tried this again today and got essentially the same result. The board POSTs, the OS loads ( I hear the Windows Login screen chime ) but the monitor does not receive a signal from either video card in the second slot.


Okay, and so then in the effort of being thorough, have you tested these cards in another system to make sure they work there? Or even tried taking another video card and testing it with the Sabertooth Z77?
m
0
l
December 7, 2012 9:01:19 PM

Yes, these cards work in SLI on another system.

smorizio: Thanks for the advice, the bios is at 1708 now. Mine shipped with 1206. I checked the PCIx_3 setting and it was at 1x, so the second slot is not being turned off. I'm not sure how to turn off onboard video, or how to adjust the PCI mode for PCIx_1 or 2.
m
0
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 7, 2012 10:12:00 PM

look online it in the bios setting on the video guild.
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 4:28:31 PM

So I found out that installing a dedicated graphics card disables onboard video automatically.

I've tried upping the voltage to the RAM ( 1.5 to 1.65 ), but to no effect.

In my BIOS it actually SEES the RAM but does not make it available. I am not sure why.

I checked via my "Resource Manager" to see if the RAM was being reserved by the system, and it is not.

The second PCIe slot dosen't recognize the card no matter what I do. I force 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen on each slot and nothing happens.

Any other advice?
m
0
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 8, 2012 5:39:44 PM

jack if the ram and slot not working check for bent pin or a seating issue with the cpu. if it not a bent pin then you have a dead board and need to rma it.
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 9:21:47 PM

I removed my heat sink + CPU ( god what a pain in the ass that was ) and found no bent pins on the motherboard socket. ( I have a 1155 so the pins are on the motherboard side )

After reseating, no change. I think I need to RMA.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 10, 2012 6:44:36 PM

jacksonmills said:
I removed my heat sink + CPU ( god what a pain in the ass that was ) and found no bent pins on the motherboard socket. ( I have a 1155 so the pins are on the motherboard side )

After reseating, no change. I think I need to RMA.


Okay, so as far as the crossfire thing goes, have you flashed a different VBIOS to either GPU?

And then on the RAM issue, are you using a single 32GB kit or like 2x16GB kits? Would it be possible to get the full kit number?
m
0
l
December 10, 2012 8:04:09 PM

cl-scott said:
Okay, so as far as the crossfire thing goes, have you flashed a different VBIOS to either GPU?

And then on the RAM issue, are you using a single 32GB kit or like 2x16GB kits? Would it be possible to get the full kit number?


No, I haven't, but honestly if the second card is not even being recognized when its in the second slot but is being recognized when it is in the first ( the cards swap fine ) I really doubt that this has anything to do with the VBIOS or drivers.

It's a GSkill Ripjaw, 8GB x 4. All sticks work independently and the BIOS even recognizes them as being there - but it doesn't make the memory available.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 5:02:52 PM

Great, I RMA'd the board and it came back and I am experiencing exactly the same issues.

What the hell is going on here? Are they just screwing around with me? I honestly thought the request finished pretty quick.
m
0
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 21, 2012 5:04:56 PM

if the mb is a new ser# then the ram controller in the cpu is bad.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 5:26:07 PM

I don't think its a new serial #, where would I check that on the board?
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 5:39:56 PM

Also, the PCI-e card is still acting up; would that also be affected by the CPU?
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 7:01:07 PM

I mean, how can I actually detect that this is the CPU and not the motherboard if this is really the case, without buying a new CPU?
m
0
l
February 5, 2013 10:01:53 PM

So what was the end result? I have the same PCI slot issue, was the situation resolved?
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:20:09 PM

I have exactly the same problem in my new build (PCI-E slot 2 not recognising a GPU for SLI and booting with a blank screen if a single GPU is used in slot 2)

i7 3770k
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
Corsair 1000HX


I have done the following:

- Tested 2x 680 GTX and a 660 in both slits 1 and 2. All cards worked in slot 1, windows simply booted up with a blank screen in slot 2.
- Installed my friends 3570k to eliminate the CPU
- Installed 3 different manufacturer RAM DIMMs to eliminate the RAM
- Daisied my friends Silver Power 850W PSU to power my system.

All of the above yielded the same result.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this other than a faulty board? Because i've pretty much exhausted all avenues.

Thank you.

- Dan
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 4:25:44 PM

You have to use the first slot for the video card, the second slot is for a second video card, you can't just use the second slot for the primary video card.

m
0
l
April 8, 2013 9:45:25 AM

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM!
shame on asus! We need to make some pressure so they release a better bios for Graphics Card Problems!
m
0
l

Best solution

April 9, 2013 11:28:39 AM

Andre Araujo said:
I HAVE SAME PROBLEM!
shame on asus! We need to make some pressure so they release a better bios for Graphics Card Problems!


The solution to the problem was to RMA the board. They first tried to repair the board, but then replaced it with an entirely new one after the first repair failed. ASUS was very friendly through all of this though, and I eventually got a new board that worked great.
Share
June 8, 2013 6:37:45 PM

I have the same problem guys, i have 2 560ti's and i cant SLI them :( 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2013 9:19:11 PM

I really don't think it is the fault of the motherboard, the first pci-e slot is the primary video out and the second video card would be for the second video out. Having both video cards but only utilizing the second vide card as your primary out will result in a blank display unless your bios supports PEG2 option and you'd only be able to select that option by having PEG1 occupied in the first place.

The big Question is whether the replacement actually did what you originally intended by only utilizing the second vidoe card as your primary port even though you have a video card in slot one, with no video cable.... of course, I might be totally confused myself about how you initally sli-ed them and what your intentions were by having the second display rather than the first, or perhaps you are meaning the second display of the second display card was not working, to which you would then need to refer to the Nvidia control panel... perhaps...
m
0
l
June 9, 2013 8:36:12 AM

Can anybody help me!

My rig is:

i5 2550k
Sabertooth z77
Intel Patriot 8gb Ram
560ti ( TRYING TO SLI A SECOND CARD BUT WILL NOT WORK! )
2x Corsair force GT 120gb SSD's
Corsair CX750M Power supply

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/130609185020.pn...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/130609185033.pn...

I am trying to set up an SLI with 2 560ti's in my rig. The sabertooth Z77 motherboard does not seem to detect anything in the second pcie slot? i have tried switching cards, reinstalling drivers and software.. I have updated to the latest bios settings and chipset! Nothing shows up in the device manager just the 1st 560ti! Nothing shows up in the nvidea control panel either!

The power supply is brand new yesterday and both of the cards are fully working and they are currently attached with an SLI Bridge. One of the cards is the MSI Twin Frozer edition.

I have tried everthing any suggestions or advice would be great! Thankyou
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 4:22:57 PM

jacksonmills said:
So I'm starting a new build for myself, giving my older ASUS Premium P6X58D to my girlfriend.

This is the setup:

GSkill Ripjaws, 1600 8gb x4
ASUS Sabertooth z77
Intel 3770k
Zalman S9500A CPU Cooler
Cooler Master HAF Tower
XFX Radeon 6950 x 2 , 2GB
Rosewill Lightning 1300W
Samsung Pro 840 SSD, 256GB

The system boots just fine, but will only recognize 16GB of RAM. I've tried each individual RAM slot and booting with all the sticks I have and each one will boot individually. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I change the # of RAM sticks, the Clock speed on the RAM changes ( not sure if this is relevant ).

What worries me more - because honestly I might be able to live with 16GB of RAM - is that my two Graphics cards do not work in Crossfire. In fact, my second PCI-e Express port, when I install a 6950 in it, doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm wondering if this is time to RMA, or if there is anything else I can do to bring this thing back. I'm fairly inexperienced as far as builds go ( this is only my second ) , so I'm curious as to if there's anything I can do to "shock" it back to life.


Kriss Mennell said:
Can anybody help me!

My rig is:

i5 2550k
Sabertooth z77
Intel Patriot 8gb Ram
560ti ( TRYING TO SLI A SECOND CARD BUT WILL NOT WORK! )
2x Corsair force GT 120gb SSD's
Corsair CX750M Power supply

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/130609185020.pn...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/130609185033.pn...

I am trying to set up an SLI with 2 560ti's in my rig. The sabertooth Z77 motherboard does not seem to detect anything in the second pcie slot? i have tried switching cards, reinstalling drivers and software.. I have updated to the latest bios settings and chipset! Nothing shows up in the device manager just the 1st 560ti! Nothing shows up in the nvidea control panel either!

The power supply is brand new yesterday and both of the cards are fully working and they are currently attached with an SLI Bridge. One of the cards is the MSI Twin Frozer edition.

I have tried everything any suggestions or advice would be great! Thankyou


This problem seems to be quite common.. I purchased a new setup yesterday and i'm having the same issue with sli setup and my 2nd PCI-e slot not recognizing my second GTX 680.

could it be the motherboards if it's this common?
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 8:13:13 AM

did anyone find an answer to this?

I have the same issue. Second 680 not being recognized in slot 2.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 3:24:21 PM

I'm also having the same issue. I just bought this motherboard today with an i7-3770k chip. Using BIOS version 1805 I cannot get SLI to work with my 560ti s. The second PCIE slot cannot be detected. Does anyone know if upgrading to a new BIOS will fix this issue or do I have to RMA the board?
m
0
l
July 23, 2013 9:07:08 AM

I have the same exact issue, Sabertooth Z77 + i7-3770k + 2x HD6770 and the second one is not working with BIOS reporting "not present". I have the latest BIOS "2003" and still no joy, also I have swapped the cards and both work on PCIe slot 1. This is most frustrating if I have to disassemble everything to RMA the motherboard. My HD6770's don't do crossfire (ASUS DirectCU Silent) but I think that's ok, right? And I have the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W so plenty of power available, I just need to have all 4 monitors over discreet graphics.

Did anyone solve this issue or is anyone here able to address the questions above?

Many thanks.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2013 2:26:52 AM

There is support for both quad SLI or quad Crossfire graphics (in triple-card configs) but not dual graphic mode, it's either single or triple mode.
m
0
l
August 12, 2013 5:02:11 PM

Hi m8s I'm on SABERTOOTH X79 with only 1 Video Card and 2 Audio PCIe cards. Only 1 PCIe is detected by system. The third slot PCIe. The second slot is plugged but windows don't detect. Any help will be welcome!

Regards
m
0
l
a c 100 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2013 11:20:41 PM

Charlomagne said:
Hi m8s I'm on SABERTOOTH X79 with only 1 Video Card and 2 Audio PCIe cards. Only 1 PCIe is detected by system. The third slot PCIe. The second slot is plugged but windows don't detect. Any help will be welcome!

Regards


Swap the cards around to work out if its the card that's bad or the slot. Try other slot combinations too. Also check the CPU socket for any bent pins - any pins bent for PCIe will cause problems obviously.

m
0
l
November 3, 2013 2:50:44 PM

Hi.

I would like to join this thread as it is most useful of the ones I have so far read in last few hours.
I have very similar issue with my Asus Sabertooth z77.
Till this point I was running 2x Radeon HD 5870 on this motherboard, and recently I have upgraded to 2x R9 280x. My issue is, nor BIOS (UEFI) nor Windows detects card in second PCIe slot. It is spinning fans, so looks like it gets some power. I have swapped cards around and and both of them work fine in first slot. Also, both are fine in third slot. I is PCIEX16_2 slot witch is a problem. And now there is a part were this problem gets bit different from most of the ones I have read about. If I will put old HD 5870 cards back, PCIEX16_2 is detected just fine, also in windows. Since hd5870's are PCIe 2.0 cards, and 280x's are PCIe 3.0 I suspect it can have something to do with it.

Now, what I have tried so far:
reinstalling drivers, reinstalling Windows, updating and re-flashing several times BIOS, Cleared CMOS several times (in G3 mode), swapping cards around, swapping power connectors, powering from different PSU lanes, checked pins in socked (look fine), checked for bent pins anywhere on the motherboard (none found).

My sys spec:
intel i7 3770k (stock), 16GB RAM, ASUS Sabertooth z77, PSU Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W, 2x R9 280x (also 2x HD 5870)

Can some one help me with this as I have ran out of ideas. Reading that it can take even 8 weeks to process RMA is really terrifying. I need this PC not only for gaming, but I work on it too...
m
0
l
a c 100 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2013 12:42:00 AM

It's possible the second slot does not support Gen 3.0 - you can try forcing Gen 2.0. Also try updating UEFI to latest version.

-Raja
m
0
l
November 4, 2013 1:37:17 AM

raja@asus said:
It's possible the second slot does not support Gen 3.0 - you can try forcing Gen 2.0. Also try updating UEFI to latest version.

-Raja


I have tried all Gen settings (AUTO, GEN1, GEN2, GEN3) none of them had any effect.
How do I update UEFI? Always thought UEFI gets updated as BIOS update. I will check this one.
m
0
l
a c 100 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2013 2:57:07 AM

UEFI is what we used to refer as BIOS in the legacy era. So updating BIOS is updating UEFI.
m
0
l
November 4, 2013 3:04:44 AM

raja@asus said:
UEFI is what we used to refer as BIOS in the legacy era. So updating BIOS is updating UEFI.


I thought so... I have done it already. Updated it, and re-flashed it several times (same BIOS update file) by different methods (from windows, in UEFI from USB) just in case one of them will force BIOS to detect the card. Didn't work...
m
0
l
a c 100 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2013 5:03:17 AM

What vendor GPUs are they and do you know which VGA BIOS the cards are running?
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 2:48:40 AM

Any one? Please...
m
0
l
November 6, 2013 4:43:31 AM

Hello guys , i have the same problem.

I have this MB in z87 plataform and i cant conect my 780 sli ;(

When i try to conect any card in the second pci 3.0 slot , my windows dont detect it.... and all my build is new...

I think is a bios problem but.. i cant solved...

Someone have the solution?
m
0
l
January 27, 2014 4:07:08 PM

hedeon said:
Any one? Please...


I just noticed your card specs mention a draw of 500W and since you have 2 that will be 1000W and you have a 850W PSU, that wont do it, however, I don't think the R9's draw that much power, but check this new lead out.
m
0
l
!