Desktop to Mobile Comparison

komakala

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I'm mostly just curious how these mobile cpus and gpus compare to these desktop versions. I'd been told that they were fairly similar in performance.

i7 2670QM and an i5 2500k (not overclocked)
570m and a desktop 460 GTX

From my observations the mobile parts I mentioned seem to be a little bit quicker than the desktop parts I listed, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. I don't have any hard facts to back it up as of yet.

The mobile and desktop Intel® Core™ processors share the same microarchitecture. The only difference with the mobile processors is some power saving features for when they are on battery. For this reason the mobile processors would perform about the same as the desktop at the same clock speed.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

You got it mixed up. Desktops and desktop parts will be faster than the mobile counterparts

As long as the CPU architecture in both laptop and desktop CPUs is the same, have the same number of cores, and same clockspeed, then the two CPUs are more or less equal.

The major difference in laptop components compared to their desktop counterparts will be the graphic card. For example, a mobile Radeon HD 5850 is roughly equal to the desktop Radeon HD 5770.

Of course, the Intel HD 3000 graphics core in both desktop and mobile CPUs should be equal to each other since it is the same exact graphics core.