Virtual Memory setting for my Comp

i have 128RDRAM and im running windows xp pro. Yes i know i need to buy more
RAM. but for now what should the setting be? i currently choose "system
manage Size". is that correct? is there any other "Tweaks" i could do for now
until i buy my RAM?

Thx
Computer Specs: P4-1.5ghz, 128RDRAM, Nivda Riva TNT2 32mb, 40 gig Maxtor.
3 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory setting comp

    Typically, the lesser the RAM, the larger the page file should be in ratio
    with the RAM. Since you have around 128MB of RAM, having a page file between
    192 and 384MB is ideal. You may want to set them as the minimum and maximum
    limit for the page file on your machine. Also, since your specs have 40G hdd,
    I would suggest creating a separate drive (say around 500MB) just for holding
    the page file, so that it is least fragmented, resulting in lesser seek time
    and higher performance...

    Go to Control Panel - System - Advanced - Performance.. adjust for best
    performance..

    "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have 128RDRAM and im running windows xp pro. Yes i know i need to buy
    more
    > RAM. but for now what should the setting be? i currently choose "system
    > manage Size". is that correct? is there any other "Tweaks" i could do for
    now
    > until i buy my RAM?
    >
    > Thx
    > Computer Specs: P4-1.5ghz, 128RDRAM, Nivda Riva TNT2 32mb, 40 gig Maxtor.

    Microsoft documentation says page file should be 1.5 times RAM. Other
    sources such as SiSoftware says 2.5 times. I generally settle for 2.0 times.

    Best speed can be achieve by manually setting both Min and Max to the same
    number, in your case at 256MB. The previous reply about separate partition
    for page file also helps as well as setting adjustments for best performance.

    Luck to you,
    Contupk

    "Andrew" wrote:

    > i have 128RDRAM and im running windows xp pro. Yes i know i need to buy more
    > RAM. but for now what should the setting be? i currently choose "system
    > manage Size". is that correct? is there any other "Tweaks" i could do for now
    > until i buy my RAM?
    >
    > Thx
    > Computer Specs: P4-1.5ghz, 128RDRAM, Nivda Riva TNT2 32mb, 40 gig Maxtor.

Configuration Virtual Memory Windows XP