Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500K High Voltage

Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2012 3:30:07 PM

Hi Guys,
I've got my i5 2500K build up and running and it seems all of my crossfire problems that were on my AMD CPU build have gone. I was told that it wasn't my CPU that was bottlenecking my 6850s in crossfire but it seems like it was unfortunately as almost everything runs perfectly.

Now, at 4.4GHz everything runs nicely so really, there is no reason for me to overclock any higher but in the interest of getting the highest possible overclock I'd like to know if my overclock seems safe (as safe as overclocking can be anyway :p  )

To get 4.7GHz to boot I need to bump up the CPU Voltage to 1.4v, which bumps up higher to 1.404v according to CPU-Z. I'm sure it's a little high but I know all CPUs are different. Is this a high voltage for a 2500K? And are there any ways of achieving this overclock with less voltage as I'm 100% familiar with the i5 and my motherboard yet :) 

CPU - i5 2500K
Mobo - Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
PSU - OCZ 1010w
Cooler - Freezer 7 Pro :/ 

More about : 2500k high voltage

a b à CPUs
February 3, 2012 7:44:47 PM

Intel says that the max voltage is 1.52V, but you also have to keep your temperatures under control. Also leave a little room from the maximum, so around where you are at 1.4 ish seems reasonable.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2012 8:11:12 PM

seems a bit high to me

i can get my 2600k to 5.1ghz on 1.44v

only took 1.3v to get 4.7ghz and a 2500k should probably take about the same

once you get past 4.5ghz you may have to start tweaking some other bits in the bios not just a case of upping the

multiplier and vcore

and obviously keep an eye on your temperatures
!