Solved

Single channle memory versus tripple channle broke i7 x58 board

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Intel i7
  • Memory
Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2012 8:30:56 PM

ok so heres the thing, my motherboard only has the last two slots working for ram as opposed too having all six slots working wich would be tripple channle? in cpu-id it says single channle and i believe it because the last two out of six mem slots are the only ones working. it has broke over the years and now when you can find um there usualy like 150 to replace the motherboard and thats to much for me i broke my back so have little income therefore im workin with what i got.

the boards is a gigabyte EX58-DS4 motherboard and basicly im wondering how much speed im loosing by not replacing the board? is there any charts out there or anything or like how many fps in a video game am i looseing? is this a big impact? by not atleast having dual channle yet only having single channle

thanks

More about : single channle memory versus tripple channle broke x58 board

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 6, 2012 8:44:43 PM

did u check the bios setting to make sure triple channel ram is enabled?
m
l

Best solution

December 6, 2012 9:03:45 PM

Tom's did an evaluation on gaming performance on this very subject:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehal...

Basically, only a few percent difference.

WINTERLORD said:
ok so heres the thing, my motherboard only has the last two slots working for ram as opposed too having all six slots working wich would be tripple channle? in cpu-id it says single channle and i believe it because the last two out of six mem slots are the only ones working. it has broke over the years and now when you can find um there usualy like 150 to replace the motherboard and thats to much for me i broke my back so have little income therefore im workin with what i got.

the boards is a gigabyte EX58-DS4 motherboard and basicly im wondering how much speed im loosing by not replacing the board? is there any charts out there or anything or like how many fps in a video game am i looseing? is this a big impact? by not atleast having dual channle yet only having single channle

thanks

Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 9:04:18 PM

people run benchmarks on their machine and submit them to various databases. You might google and find someones benchmark for your motherboard and then run the same benchmark on yours to compare with.

you will be taking a hit on memory access speeds.
m
l
December 6, 2012 9:10:00 PM

Follow-up to my previous response ... Actually, the Tom's evaluation covers gaming and apps. The difference was anywhere from 0% to 9.2% (Single vs triple). But, the overall conclusion is there is not much system performance difference.
m
l
December 6, 2012 9:17:00 PM

Best answer selected by winterlord.
m
l