Is my 9800 GT Dead? :(

jonnyshrp

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hey there new friends,

I've been fooling around with my XFX GeForce 9800 GT for a few weeks and I've finally given up. I need help determining if it's dead and in need of replacement.

This started a few weeks ago when I started getting BSOD and shut downs. Didn't make any hardware changes and had only just begun plugging my computer into my HDtv, mainly just because :). Upon reboots, my display would be distorted and when Windows began to load, it would BSOD again and reboot...uh oh. This does not happen with VGA from the motherboard, and every once in a while I would get it to boot up and display fine until it would time out, freeze the computer, and shut down again.

The error message indicated that a file in the drivers was a problem. So I've gone through several weeks (because I've been busy and I'm lazy) of rolling back drivers, re-installing clean drivers, and even finally resorted to a full clean re-install of Windows 7. The display still screws up and causes freezing and shut downs.

There are no visible problems with the card, I've cleaned dust and done everything I can inside the case and have been very careful to check things out. So is this thing a goner? If so, what's comparable or newer/better for not that much $? I'm very limited on funds, but I do enjoy my PC gaming.

- Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz
- G31 mATX motherboard

Solution
Hey,

Definately sounds like the Card is out,

Just remember that the card doesnt need to artifact in anyway to say that it is on its way out. if you get pop ups about a kernal driver failing or anything for the graphics card driver failing, then that is the card. If you are getting BSOD and random freezes, even from boot up, but nothing from the on board graphics, Yup still points down to the GFX card. I dont see it being the power supply, as the power supply would generally just fail at POST, as this is when the biggest amount of stress happens on the PSU. Everything hits peak.

Suggestion, maybe look at the ATI 6790 or 6770, generally good performance for both cards. And the 6790 should only be a few $ more than the 6770. In South...

Eric Tardes

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Could be the PSU?! Do you know what kind of PSU is in your computer?
If you could get your hands on some other PSU (400-500W) and test the GPU. I would say that if the GPU was failing you would get some artifacts, just BSODs smells like PSU, especially if the computer works fine with integrated GPU which doesn't put big strain on the PSU.

Also check for dust bildup and temp rise due to high outside temperatures.

^+1 Eric, except that driver error message. Do you get it every time, even after reinstalling stuff? Can you write it down here?
I tried plugging into my HDTV once, and I got all sorts of weird distortion, though no shutdowns. Is the situation any different with a proper monitor?

CoffeeDrinker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hey,

Definately sounds like the Card is out,

Just remember that the card doesnt need to artifact in anyway to say that it is on its way out. if you get pop ups about a kernal driver failing or anything for the graphics card driver failing, then that is the card. If you are getting BSOD and random freezes, even from boot up, but nothing from the on board graphics, Yup still points down to the GFX card. I dont see it being the power supply, as the power supply would generally just fail at POST, as this is when the biggest amount of stress happens on the PSU. Everything hits peak.

Suggestion, maybe look at the ATI 6790 or 6770, generally good performance for both cards. And the 6790 should only be a few $ more than the 6770. In South Africa we are looking at a price tag of Rands 1799 and 1699 respectively. Dont know how much that is in $.

Happy shopping, and enjoy the gaming.

Solution

jonnyshrp

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

This is probably most accurate. Definite have had artifacting and distorted display. The popups have been kernal failures, as well. I agree about the PSU, definitely doesn't seem to be the issue as I've had this exact same setup for 2.5 years, ran fine until these display failures. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the GTS 450. Looks like a step up from the 9800 for not a whole lot of money.