Timing issue ASUS M3N72-D AMD Phenom II x4 920

Hello,
As stated above I have a timing issue on a home built computer that I have had since I built it 2 and a half years ago. My system is as follows:

ASUS M3N72-D motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 920 processor (Denab)
6 GB RAM
Nvidia GTS 250 video card
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS

To start out simply, my computer loses time (as in the clock down in the lower right hand) sometimes in large amounts. I first started noticing this when the power mode in Win7 was set to balanced (CPU stepping on) and typically during web browsing and even more so when flash was running. I could lose about 20 minutes in an hour. When I put the Win7 power setting to performance (CPU stepping off) the problem seemed to go away. However, recently I started to notice the problem when using VMware Workstation pretty heavily it would lose time even with it in performance mode.

I have reloaded the OS several times. I have even had the motherboard replaced. The BIOS is up to date. I called AMD's tech support and told them the issue and their response was "it is not a CPU issue".

I have worked in IT for many years and neither myself or anyone I work with has ever seen this before. I have searched the web many times but I have failed to come up with anything.

So, if anybody can shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
2 answers Last reply
More about timing issue asus m3n72 phenom
  1. There is a small battery on the motherboard .
    It needs to be replaced

If the problem persisted after a mb swap thats just two bad batteries
  2. I have checked the voltage on the CMOS battery and it is fine. When the computer is idle or off, it has absolutely no problem maintaining time. Also as long as it is in performance mode it doesn't have an issue with keeping time unless I am using VMware heavily.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems