1080p Gaming advice please

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hi there, noobie here :sol:

Im hoping to steel some wonder from your experiences.

I am an aging but avid gamer who's past life has been enhanced by the 360 & PS3, now I feel its time to appreciate my PC & jump into the larger fight especially with BF3 just around the corner

My knowledge isnt the best, nor the worse but due to the world how it is etc, I dont want to go "overkill" by spending too much on whats really necessary, hence my post here

To cut this boring thread short.. well shorter lol, basically Im after a setup wher I can run games how theyre supposed to be run ableit @ 1080p as thats the max of my monitor (LG W2261)

I already know that Im gonna have to fork out for a new PSU as mine is only 350W, but with that aside, here are my specs

Can someone offer me advice/recommendations with regards to a card, ie is the Geforce GTX 560Ti overkill @ circa £200 etc..

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM (MAX system will allow is 4GB, likely to upgrade this too)
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9588)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 1530 MB
Dedicated Memory: 250 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: LG W2261(Digital)
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Digital Output (C-Media PCI Audio Device)

I dont use PC sound & have passthru to Onkyo Amp & Tannoy speakers during early evening & Turtle Beach X41's for late nights

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times but I suppose each answer is different depending on the original setup

Many thanks for reading thus far & hope you can help

J

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The GTX 560 Ti is spot on for that resolution. I know because I bought one a couple of weeks ago to replace my GTX 460 and I have no regrets. The 560 ti will play GTA 4 at full settings with no problems.

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Many thanks for the reply, GTA not my thing but I presume its pretty demanding for u to mention it, I pressume, my processor etc is ok ? will a RAM upgrade to 4GB be necessary ?

Thanks again

You will also need to check the PCIe x16 compatibility of the card you plan to toss into your rig.
Firstly, if I remember correctly than the Mobo in the Inspiron 530 has only 1 PCIe x16 not PCie 2 X16 or 2.1 x16.... the cards are mostly backwards compatible but be sure before you get one.
Secondly, you'll need to check space inside your case if the card you plan to buy fits in, since these systems are pretty tightly made you need to check dimensions first.
You might not be able to get the card clear of the RAM modules....
And if you are running the 64bit version of Home Premium, then, the more RAM the Better.... but if it's 32bit.... no need to go beyond 3GB.....the next 1Gb is sometimes taken into use and sometimes not detected altogether varying from system to system so for the time being check these few things and lets us know

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for the info peeps, much appreciated. Got me concerned about the PCie 2 now, any swift pointers on how to check ?

Cheers

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Ignore that, must have been the 6850 I compared it too. Not really sure of Pros or Cons over either card, was looking at 560 for a change to nVidia as Ive had ATI's in the past & the CCC is annoying with more updates than the wifes wardrobe