Sabertooth X79 - Problem with Marvell SATA Controller

Luki

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello, this is my first post. I have searched up and down and not found a solution.

I am building a system around the Sabertooth X79 mainboard, and I cannot seem to get my Vertex 3 SSD's to recognize on the Marvell 9128 Controller. In fact, I am not even sure the controller is being recognized by the system. I have enabled it in the BIOS, along with the OPROM, but Ctrl-M does nothing during POST, and there is no device for Marvell controller in the device manager. Drives do not show up in Drive XPert in BIOS or Computer Management. I have 4 SSD's, 2 plugged into the Intel SATA3 ports, which work fine. The 2 drives in question work fine in Intel SATA2 ports, but I would like to get them working on the Marvell SATA3 ports (despite the known problems with 9128) because I need as fast of read speeds as possible. Write speeds are not a concern.

Is there something I am missing on how to get these SSDs working? Or the Marvell Controller period? Thanks in advance for any available help. These forums have saved me many a time. :p

Solution
You may have to use "ide" instead of "achi" in the bios for the marvell controller. I would also load the sata driver off the motherboard cd if it has it. Check the motherboard manual for a chapter on raid. It may be at the back of the manual in the device driver section.
You may have to use "ide" instead of "achi" in the bios for the marvell controller. I would also load the sata driver off the motherboard cd if it has it. Check the motherboard manual for a chapter on raid. It may be at the back of the manual in the device driver section.

Solution

Luki

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I called Asus and they suspect it is a bad controller. I am going to RMA the board and hope the next one works out of the box. Thanks for the input. =-)