Sign in with
Your question

Recommendations for a new gaming build

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2011 6:51:29 PM

Hey guys, I'd like to get some recommendations for a new build, as my current pc is getting a little dated. I built it three years ago, but since then I haven't really paid attention to computers so I'm not really sure which components are being recommended these days.

Approximate Purchase Date: by the end of the year

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) $600, could be higher

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, internet, movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD, DVD drive, PSU (reusing 600w)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, but others are fine too

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, nVidia GPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments:

I'd like to be able to smoothly play BF3 and other new games on High settings at 1680x1050

All I need is a CPU, mobo, RAM, and GPU. All the other parts are covered, from my old build.

CPU - Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm leaning towards an i5 or i7, which ones are recommended for price/performance value?
Mobo - one that is decent for OCing
RAM - how much is good these days? 4 or 8gb? My old build was with 2gb of DDR2 lol
GPU - I prefer nVidia, so maybe the GTX560? I've heard good things about the HD6870 too but I've never used ATI before.

My budget is around $600 for these parts, but then again I don't really know the pricing of things so that could be too low. I could go higher if necessary, but I'd like parts with good bang for the buck.

Thanks!
November 3, 2011 7:26:23 PM

Seems like 6850 is fine for your res: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-pe...

However with that budget you should be able to get a 6950 which is the best bang for buck ATM. Nevertheless fear not, your budget is not too low! You'll be enjoying the game soon.

i5 220$
mobo 130$
that leaves 250$ for the 6950, I think it's doable.
m
l
November 3, 2011 7:39:54 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Seems like 6850 is fine for your res: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-pe...

However with that budget you should be able to get a 6950 which is the best bang for buck ATM. Nevertheless fear not, your budget is not too low! You'll be enjoying the game soon.

i5 220$
mobo 130$
that leaves 250$ for the 6950, I think it's doable.

Don't forget the Ram... :D 
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 7:56:44 PM

What is the brand and model of the existing 600W PSU?
m
l
November 3, 2011 7:57:17 PM

RAM is overrated :D 
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:19:30 PM

Oooh, a Chokemax; probably called "Volcano" for a very good reason, but not the one the manufacturer intended. Hopefully it is good for 450W, in which case a HD6850 should run on it.
m
l
!