After bios upgrade

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • BIOS
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2011 7:11:15 PM

Hi there
I am having a problem with my com which consists of Asus m2n332 premium, amd x2 6000+ cpu, corsair 4gb, 430 watt power supply, nvidia 6200LE video card and windows 7 64. After updating my bios all hell broke loose. My com would not boot and all I got was 1 long beep and 3 short beep. I replaced the bios chip but still the same problem. Replaced the cmos battery, no joy. Have replace my old video card which was nvidia 8800 gts to 6200Le and it boots up now into windows.
But there still is a persistent problem. After shutting down in windows it powers off and then it turns back on after 10 mins and boots up to my login sceen. If I try shutting down in windows and wait to it has turn off and then turn the power off at the back of the tower it stays off which is to be expected. But if I turn the power on at the back of the tower it starts to boot up and then after 5 secs with no beeps it turns off. Then if I turn on the power at the front of the tower it boots into windows.
Please has anybody got any ideas to what is going on?

Kind regards
Tiaka

More about : bios upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 7:28:43 PM

One long beep and 3 short indicate video card issues, as well as motherboard issues. Try running on-board graphics if you can. If the problem persists, do a clean install of Windows 7. Also, you should only update your BIOS if you are actually having issues in the first place. If not, leave it as it is.
m
l
November 3, 2011 7:51:06 PM

Thanks AbdullahG for your reply . I did need to upgrade the bios because of a software requirement. I don't have on board graphics. I am wondering whether reformatting and installing windows would fix things because the problems are happening at boot up before windows kicks in.
Cheers
Any more ideas would be appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 9:27:04 PM

tiaka said:
Thanks AbdullahG for your reply . I did need to upgrade the bios because of a software requirement. I don't have on board graphics. I am wondering whether reformatting and installing windows would fix things because the problems are happening at boot up before windows kicks in.
Cheers
Any more ideas would be appreciated.

You already did the BIOS jumper pin method, right? Try going into the BIOS (I think it is F2) on boot-up. Explore through it and find an option for Restore Factory Defaults or something similar to that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2011 9:32:28 PM

Another method:

Using another computer,
Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website.
Find you MoBo.
Fine its drivers and downloads page.
There should be a BIOS driver for the original BIOS (factory BIOS).
Install it on a USB, floppy disk, etc.
Boot from the USB, floppy, etc.
Overwrite the current BIOS with the original.
m
l
November 4, 2011 12:19:09 AM

Thanks for the advice but still no go.
I have tried the jumper pin method and also when I try to reinstall my origianl bios I get a message saying "Not allowed to downgrade". I have tried lots of bios downgrades but only the most modern one's will load. I have taken all my hardware out including drives, ram, cpu and tested. They seem fine. Still at a loss. I do have windows working, but still have this strange problem with turning the com off. You might be right in that it's a motherboard fault. Maybe time to upgrade. Unless anyone can think of any thing else.
Cheers
tiaka
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 1:43:43 AM

tiaka said:
Thanks for the advice but still no go.
I have tried the jumper pin method and also when I try to reinstall my origianl bios I get a message saying "Not allowed to downgrade". I have tried lots of bios downgrades but only the most modern one's will load. I have taken all my hardware out including drives, ram, cpu and tested. They seem fine. Still at a loss. I do have windows working, but still have this strange problem with turning the com off. You might be right in that it's a motherboard fault. Maybe time to upgrade. Unless anyone can think of any thing else.
Cheers
tiaka

I'll try to get help from other members.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 2:07:14 AM

Quote:
New avatar i see nice!

:D 
Just saying, you should head over to the Idle Chat Thread. Quite a lot of members and whole lot of fun :D  No one really on though ATM :\

To the OP: I reread your post. You said it boots up ONLY if you use the front panel power button, not the power switch? This is correct, right?
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:21:51 AM

Hi 384-BiT
After turning on the power at the back of the tower the com begins to start up and turns off after about 4 secs with just a blank screen. Then I have to press the front button of the tower to start up and it boots up into windows. If I put my old video card in which is a lot faster than the one I have substituted it doesn't boot up at all. Just 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. When I have windows running on the slower card it seems to go alright. But it way to slow for graphics.
Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 2:54:36 AM

tiaka said:
Hi 384-BiT
After turning on the power at the back of the tower the com begins to start up and turns off after about 4 secs with just a blank screen. Then I have to press the front button of the tower to start up and it boots up into windows. If I put my old video card in which is a lot faster than the one I have substituted it doesn't boot up at all. Just 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. When I have windows running on the slower card it seems to go alright. But it way to slow for graphics.
Thanks for your help.

Those beeps indicate an issue with your GPU. Could be VRAM error, or just a faulty GPU. If you are able to boot with the front panel button, then it shouldn't really be an issue. No need to worry. Just get your GPU replaced (if under warranty) and see how things turn out.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 11:38:05 AM

In response to AbdullaG's call to assist you in the "Idle Chit Chat" Forum, I am offering some information. Thanks to Abdulla.

1 long, 3 short beeps - Video Card error ---> Check the video card for proper installation. Try removing and re-inserting the video card. Replace the video card. Replace the motherboard.

As Abdullah suggested, replace the video card.

If that does not solve the problem, replace the motherboard.
November 13, 2011 11:19:05 PM

Thanks for all your help. Do appreciate it. I decided to upgrade and build my self a new computer. Thanks again. Cheers
m
l
November 13, 2011 11:19:43 PM

Best answer selected by tiaka.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2011 11:56:24 PM

tiaka said:
Thanks for all your help. Do appreciate it. I decided to upgrade and build my self a new computer. Thanks again. Cheers

When you pick your components, run it by us in the "New Builds" (Systems) section.

Good luck!
m
l
!