Sign in with
Your question

Is a old P4 system worth doing anything with? or trash it?

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2011 7:20:30 PM

I got a old Dell that has a P4 with 1gb of memory and i wanted to know if its good enough to be used for anything? or is it just trash?

:edit: it only has 512mb of ram, 2x 256mb sticks filling both slots :( 

More about : system worth trash

November 3, 2011 7:25:50 PM

Sure,

You could use it for watching DVD's, as a firewall, a linux server to play around with. Or you could put windows 98 on it and play some old school games like commander keen or red alert. Use your imagination
m
l
November 3, 2011 7:56:55 PM

aaab said:
Sure,

You could use it for watching DVD's, as a firewall, a linux server to play around with. Or you could put windows 98 on it and play some old school games like commander keen or red alert. Use your imagination

so pretty much trash :( 
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 8:03:44 PM

Do you guys think i could get $100 for it on CL with a15 inch flat screen?
m
l
November 3, 2011 8:07:57 PM

frommaine said:
so pretty much trash :( 

No way! There is lots of stuff you can do with it. It's just useless for new games. Personally I have given away much better computers than that as I have no use for more than one comp.
m
l
November 3, 2011 8:10:30 PM

IF your not gaming, the limiting factor of your computer will not be the cpu, but the memory. I recently built a computer for someone with a pentium 4 i had laying around. I bought a cheap (but reliable) modern motherboard, and 4gb cheap DDR3 for about $75. It runs microsoft office, email, internet, and videos with no noticeable lag compared to my Gaming Desktop. That was a LGA 775 pentium 4, older sockets cannot work with cheap newer parts.
Gaming will not be possible without a discrete graphics card, sorry.
m
l
November 4, 2011 12:54:22 PM

I am using an slimline hp p4 with an agp 3650 as a multimedia box. It does ok streaming netflix and it decodes blue ray. Running windows 7 ulitmat 32 it runs aero and browses the internet nice and snappy.

I am also using a p4 with 2gigs of ram as a file server. I got a 40gig ide boot drive running a clean install of win7 ulitmate 32, and 2 WD 1tb drives in raid 1. I use wake on lan to turn it on from the first p4 and stream all my ripped dvds and movies.

My only complaint is that the p4s are not 64bit.
m
l
November 4, 2011 12:58:30 PM

Puppy Linux, will run in about 100 mb ram with apps aboard, so very fast.

Mediapup, a variation of that will convert it into a video editing system, both will load off a CD or small thumb drive when needed, or coexist with other OS's -- if you're interested in Linux at all.

I use an even lower grade machine to act a as a console for a CNC foam cutter I built. Best performance is with DOS software (TurboCNC), though Windows based CNC does work, too. But the drive is much smoother with the DOS driver.

A guy once asked me if he should get a rowing shell to get exercise in. I said no, get a Sears aluminum skiff and add cinder blocks, and short oars. Then you'll really get exercise.

Fun in computing can come from overcoming limitations, not just buying the fastest and the best (and therefore next years has-been) devices. But using ingenuity to make something unusual with cast-offs.
m
l
November 4, 2011 1:09:05 PM

steve464 said:

Fun in computing can come from overcoming limitations, not just buying the fastest and the best (and therefore next years has-been) devices. But using ingenuity to make something unusual with cast-offs.

Your a wise man.

For me 50% the fun of computers comes from games and the othe 50% comes from fixing and tinkering with stuff.
m
l
November 4, 2011 1:18:01 PM

All of the above;
Or, you could donate it to some local tech school for kids to learn and get a nice tax write-off for it, too.
m
l
November 4, 2011 1:27:44 PM

I got a p4 478 system with 4gb of ram and a 3850 agp thrown it it. With that gpu it really brought some life to it, it runs win 7 with all the eye candy and can run hl2 and games with similar requirements.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 4, 2011 2:02:02 PM

I'm thinking its junk. I can't even sell a 3.2GHz Northwood P4 on S478 with a 3 speed HSF for $5 on my local CL. If none of those things excite you just junk it.
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:33:38 PM

Folding@Home, anyone?
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:02:32 PM

As house said, rather than 'trash' it, donate it. A computer that old still works fine with the hardware specs for general use (word processing, powerpoint, excel, internet surfing, etc). There are plenty of people out there that would benefit from a machine such as that. You will get a tax write off too. But even if you don't get a write off, you will still have benefited someone else at absolutely zero cost or hassle from you.
m
l
November 11, 2011 12:23:32 AM

There are many good ideas listed, but if none of them interest you, at least donate it. But, having it around to play around with isn't a bad idea.
m
l
!