mad_mike333

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello everyone,

before i begin here are my specs (and before you ask i have seen the sticky thread about boot/video problems)

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz
GPU - Radeon HD6950
PSU - StarTech ATX2PW530PRO 530W
RAM - Corsair 6GB, 1600MHz
Heatsink - Zalman CNPS9900
Case - Antec Three Hundred

Ok, so i connected everything together, following the MOBO manual and when i pushed the power button on my PC, i hear a small noise and nothing happens. when i press the power button again i hear nothing, i only hear that sound when i take out the kettle lead, turn the PSU switch on & off, put the lead back in the PSU and push the power on button again.

ive opened my case up to see what was happening when i turn the PC on, and it seems my CPU heatsink's fan moves slightly (for less than a second) and is then unresponsive.

Any help/feedback would be greatly appriciated. if you want to know anything else about my PC feel free to ask.

Oh and here is a video i recorded showing what happens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6fW_U-98I

I think it might be a problem with the PSU, but before i go out and buy another i want to see if anyone else has had this problem.

mad_mike333

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
this is my first time buying components separetly and installing it all myself. i havent been able to test the PSU, as my family only have laptops.

just another thing as well, i plugged in a PS /2 keyboard and the light came on for a second, same as the LED on the front of my case. this is all happened very quickly though. :??:

Edit ---- i have bought another PSU and a MOBO speaker as well. I will give an update when i test the other PSU & also if there are any beeps with the MOBO speaker too.

mad_mike333

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
i have solved my problem. My PSU has a wire with 3 molex connectors AND a 4 pin connector. when i connected my fans via molex, i also plugged in the 4 pin connector into the motherboard.

As this is my first time building a computer from scratch i assumed the 4 pin connector was to be plugged into the motherboard system fan slot.

when i took the 4 pin connector out, the system successfully booted. So it turned out it wasnt a PSU problem at all, just a connection problem.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problem.