Computer help

glit1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hello, before i start i need to say that i'm not the best with computers.
I just upgraded my hp pavilion computer with from a 300 watt power supply to and 650 watt power supply.
I also upgraded my video card to a nvidia 560 ti.
My motherboard is kind of old so im thinking of getting a new one if so which one? I'm looking for a motherboard good for gaming if there are such ones.
Whilst doing this i'm thinking of getting a new case hopefully for around 100 dollars.
Lastly im wondering if my processor is good enough, i've got a intel duel core i2
Thanks

bliq

Distinguished
other than it being old, is there any other reason to upgrade your motherboard? are you looking for new features? support a new processor? it may not be a worthwhile investment if your current board is doing fine.

not upgrading the motherboard would leave you with many case choices under $100.

your processor is probably a core i3. From that, it's not clear if it's a newer Sandy Bridge part, or the older one from last year (I don't remember what that one is called- Bloomfield maybe). either way, it's probably just fine for most games at most resolutions.

If you want to upgrade from that, you're going to spend more than $100 on just the CPU.

What board and CPU do you have? What PSU exactly did you buy? Some PSUs say they support XXX watts, when really they don't.

Full system specs please! Also, your CPU is most likely a core i3, as they don't make core i2s, unless you are getting core 2 duo confused with a core i3.

That is a great PSU, no issues there, but yes, you should upgrade your CPU. What is your CPU/Motherboard budget? Also, you will most likely need new RAM too that will work with the new board and CPU.

SLI is Nvidia's way of taking two GPUs and running them both together. Crossfire (CF) is the same thing for AMD.

OC is overclock. You make the CPU faster at the risk of damaging it. As long as you know what you are doing it should be fine. Read guides if you want to!

So, you will benefit form a quad core CPU, but to pick the right CPU and board, I need to know if you want to OC. With a Corsair h60 like that, you can OC pretty far. I have my 2500k running @ 4.5Ghz stable with that cooler! :)

glit1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Cant really afford that processor right now so im thinking of getting the case cooling system and the board. But you mean if i do get that processor you recommended i should not oc?

TRENDING THREADS