What is wrong with my PC?

vinzbaka

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
I had my computer for a year already so I finally tried to attempt a OC on my CPU but since i was a novice on it, i have failed and i think i messed up the mobo but im not sure if its the mobo anymore because i rma the mobo and got it back just today but the computer wont start up still. It will start up for 3 seconds then turn off. Is it the mobo still and should i ask for a replacement, get a new mobo, or something else is wrong with my PC? It can't be the cpu right because it will still start up even without cpu? I also see the CPU Phase LED all light up so it shouldnt be the CPU right? I tried adjusting the ram or putting 1 slot of ram but that isnt the problem. I tried CMOS resetting with battery and the jumpers but still doesn't work.

System specs:
GTX 560ti
Corsair TX 850
Intel i7-870
MSI p55-gd65
4x2 1333 ram
h60 cpu cooler
antec 300
WD 500g 7200rpm 32 cache
liteon cd player

jdwii

Splendid

How far did you try to overclock your processor and what voltage did you use. I would hate to say this but the CPU might be broke.

It is highly likely that it is the power supply that has failed particularly if you have fitted a cheap one into your case. The only reliable way for a home user to check this is to replace it with a known good one. The fault is highly unlikely to be the CPU as they do not normally fail in this way.

The power supply is turning off either because the power supply is faulty or something is drawing to much current. It would be unusual for the CPU to draw to much current, they normally fail by not drawing hardly any current at all. You have replaced the motherboard so the motherboard is probably OK. If I had this system to fix I would try another power supply first and if it still did not work I would remove everything from the motherboard apart from the processor and check if it still shut down the PSU if it didn't I would add the components one by one until I have isolated the problem. If the power supply still shuts down with just the motherboard and CPU connected then I would remove the motherboard from the case and try it on the bench, only then would I begin to suspect the CPU.

If you RMA'd the board, you still have warranty service....then you are entitled to tech support. Get on the phone, call them up and have theM guide you thru the troubleshooting procedure.

The most common error I see matching the results you are seeing is that you forgot to connect the CPU fan to the MoBo fan header. Unless shut off in the BIOS, if it fails to detect a CPU fan spinning adequately, it may shut down.

Also when ya boot the machine, Ya shud hit F8 or whatever is used for your BIOS to enter the BIOS and select "set all settings to default", save and exit, then re-enter the BIOS again.....check to see that all RAM and CPU settings are correct AS PER THE PRODUCT LTERATURE.....also make sure the RAM is in the correct slots..... READ THE MANUAL TO DETERMINE.

If your rig starts up for a few seconds and then goes off, maybe the processor is overheating, try to clean up the HSF and reseat it. It ought to get you one step closer to the problem. Also make sure you have reset the bios and got everything to it's default values.
Start the rig with just a single stick of RAM and see if it boots up to Windows.