Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Help looking for a 7.1 pci sound card...

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2012 11:41:18 PM

im going to the buy the razer tiamat 7.1 when its releases by the end of feb but i need a 7.1 sound card to have true surround..i have a 890gxm-g65 board and only have my bottom pci slot open.(6970 takes up most of the space) price range dont matter to me right now but under 100 is tolerable...anyone reccommend a highly rated sound card for me??
i looked on razer site and what they recommend for the tiamat but this will be my first sound card ever...so i dont have a clue what to buy..help is appreciated.

More about : pci sound card

February 4, 2012 12:42:54 AM

Have you thought about taking advantage of your onboard audio? The MSI boast that the 890gxm-g65 have:

Lossless 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio
Onboard PC audio gets better! MSI is the first to implement the most high-end HD Audio codecs available. Don’t be fooled by other inferior audio solutions onboard (sometimes you can’t even find the driver!) Only MSI offers the Loss-less 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio function with an incredible 109 SNR dB value to provide the most clear & vivid HD audio quality and support 7.1 channels surround sound playback with a 2-channel independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel 3.5 inch phone jack

Audio

• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC889
- True Blu-ray Audio Support
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec

Score
February 4, 2012 2:26:09 AM

i know about its realtek on board audio...but i always assume a aftermarket sound card will deliver more performance...then its onboard card. is the specs good on the onboard chip? bcuz i dont know much about the 24-bit/192khz and 109 SNR db.. i have a idea on what they do and how they affect audio but not a detailed look on what exactly those numbers mean.. is the onboard audio comparable to a 50 to 70 dollar sound card?
Score
Related resources
February 4, 2012 3:02:08 AM

randomkid said:
Have you thought about taking advantage of your onboard audio? The MSI boast that the 890gxm-g65 have:

Lossless 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio
Onboard PC audio gets better! MSI is the first to implement the most high-end HD Audio codecs available. Don’t be fooled by other inferior audio solutions onboard (sometimes you can’t even find the driver!) Only MSI offers the Loss-less 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio function with an incredible 109 SNR dB value to provide the most clear & vivid HD audio quality and support 7.1 channels surround sound playback with a 2-channel independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel 3.5 inch phone jack

Audio

• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC889
- True Blu-ray Audio Support
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec

^+2
Score

Best solution

February 4, 2012 1:43:00 PM

f12ostii said:
i know about its realtek on board audio...but i always assume a aftermarket sound card will deliver more performance...then its onboard card. is the specs good on the onboard chip? bcuz i dont know much about the 24-bit/192khz and 109 SNR db.. i have a idea on what they do and how they affect audio but not a detailed look on what exactly those numbers mean.. is the onboard audio comparable to a 50 to 70 dollar sound card?

I have been using onboard audio in all my PC's & I have a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 sound system in one of them. So far I do not felt the need to justify spending 25% of the motherboard cost for something that is already there.
The best action to take is to use the onboard first & play it by your ear. If you don't like it, then you can buy. If you have friends who already have add-on sound card, try to listen to it & see if you can tell a significant difference in audio quality to justify the extra expense which you could otherwise save towards an SSD or a better graphics card.
February 4, 2012 8:43:18 PM

Best answer selected by f12ostii.
Score
February 5, 2012 1:39:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!