Sign in with
Your question

Is the hd 6790 or 6770 good enough to run bf3 on high?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2011 2:18:25 PM

the question says it all...
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 2:21:27 PM

I highly doubt it.Although the Beta hasn't started yet so we don't exactly know how demanding it is for sure but I was in the Alpha and my single 6870 could max it out but all of the settings were turned way down since it was Alpha testing.I would think you need at least a GTX560ti or 6870 to play it on high settings with no eye candy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 4:18:13 PM

one of my friends with the alpha maxed out the game atih 35 fps at 1680x1050.It should max it out but nothing cant be said before its beta release
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 4:40:25 PM

have the recommend specs been posted any where?
m
l
September 6, 2011 4:49:05 PM

Honestly, no. I'm buying a Radeon 6970 and THAT will only run it maxed at around 40-50fps... you can probably run it around medium if you OC it, though! :) 
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 4:58:39 PM

Basicly this game needs a very strong, very fast CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:04:13 PM

QwertyMusicMan said:
Honestly, no. I'm buying a Radeon 6970 and THAT will only run it maxed at around 40-50fps... you can probably run it around medium if you OC it, though! :) 

Seriously? When are you people going to stop? How can you say, FOR SURE, that a 6970 will only max it at 40-50 fps? BS. It's built on the engine BC2 used but a more optimized version, it's being released for consoles, and after having personal experience with the alpha I can tell you right now this game isn't going to be another Crysis.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:27:06 PM

trogdor796 said:
Seriously? When are you people going to stop? How can you say, FOR SURE, that a 6970 will only max it at 40-50 fps? BS. It's built on the engine BC2 used but a more optimized version, it's being released for consoles, and after having personal experience with the alpha I can tell you right now this game isn't going to be another Crysis.

+1
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:28:36 PM

Yes but in even in the Alpha my Phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.8ghz was at 80% usage.Although my 6870 was able to max it out and maintain a steady 60fps I could totally tell that all of the settings were turned way down.That would also make sense because the Alpha phase isn't geared towards graphics or gameplay but mainly just to see if their servers were in working order and turning all the graphics settings down so that their would not be any unneeded lag caused by it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:31:15 PM

im wondering when the " can it run" threads will stop. srsly, ppl, there are like 5 a day popping up and are entertained like its the first time its been asked. " umm the game isnt out yet, but ill tell you how many fps you will get based on a MP demo"
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:34:07 PM

purple stank said:
Yes but in even in the Alpha my Phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.8ghz was at 80% usage.Although my 6870 was able to max it out and maintain a steady 60fps I could totally tell that all of the settings were turned way down.That would also make sense because the Alpha phase isn't geared towards graphics or gameplay but mainly just to see if their servers were in working order and turning all the graphics settings down so that their would not be any unneeded lag caused by it.

I understand that this game will require a moderate system to run. But it's people like Qwertymusicman are starting to annoy me. They say that they KNOW, for SURE, what the game will require and exactly how it will run, and most of them grossly exagerate the requirements.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:36:04 PM

coldtortilla said:
have the recommend specs been posted any where?

These are nvidias requirments which are genrally accurate
http://www.geforce.com/GamesandApps/games/battlefield-3...
Expected recommended System Requirements

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 460 or better
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

these are alpha trial benchmarks
dx 10 max settings

dx 11 max settings

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:37:18 PM

trogdor796 said:
I understand that this game will require a moderate system to run. But it's people like Qwertymusicman are starting to annoy me. They say that they KNOW, for SURE, what the game will require and exactly how it will run, and most of them grossly exagerate the requirements.

+1; It WILL take a good system to run, but the requirements aren't unbelievably crazy as people make it out to be. I cant wait till it comes out and people are playing it on a store bought tower with a GPU shoved in it so everyone stops stressing on it
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:44:45 PM

BF3 in the Alpha stage was severely lacking of GPU drivers and support.Which is why the high performance cards like the GTX580 and 6990 got terrible FPS.They should have easily gotten over 150FPS with the way it looked.

Well if you think about it still takes a 6950 or GTX570 to max out out BFBC2 with all the eye candy and get a steady 50+fps.If this game engine is updated/new that means it should be more demanding.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 5:52:25 PM

It will also be more optimized as well, so I think it will be more demanding, but nothing ridiculous.

I have a 2500k and a 4870, and I can run BC2 with 4xAA everything else turned up to high(no HBAO, it's poorly optimized and useless imo) and I get a steady 50-60fps. I am only at 1680x1050 though, so at higher resolutions and DX11 the cards you said are likely required.

I will be upgrading my card once the new series release. But I will not be getting sli of top end cards like some people think you will need. Ever since they showed the live gameplay at e3, and everyone is like "OMG the rig they had was running dual 580's and the game still wasn't maxed omz guyz nothing out there will be able to max this game!@@$!@"...

I'm not even sure it has been confirmed that the rig they were using was running dual 580's, if it has, please share the link or just say so because it could be and I would like to know. And same for if the game was maxed or not, far as I know DICE never said this officially.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 6:40:24 PM

Well something I've noticed with the Frostbite engine is that it seems to be very CPU demanding/dependant.Your 2500k is why you can max everything out.With my 965 @ 3.8ghz and 6870 I can play everything on high but no eye candy.And my FPS sometimes dips.And I'm at the same resolution as you.

That's just a rumor I'm sure.Although if I was EA and showing off my "game of the year or of all time" then I would want to have it look as good as possible and show show off every bit of eye candy the engine has to offer.Showing off your product makes more sense than "it will only run with a GTX580 SLI."
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 7:54:17 PM

purple stank said:
Well something I've noticed with the Frostbite engine is that it seems to be very CPU demanding/dependant.Your 2500k is why you can max everything out.With my 965 @ 3.8ghz and 6870 I can play everything on high but no eye candy.And my FPS sometimes dips.And I'm at the same resolution as you.

That's just a rumor I'm sure.Although if I was EA and showing off my "game of the year or of all time" then I would want to have it look as good as possible and show show off every bit of eye candy the engine has to offer.Showing off your product makes more sense than "it will only run with a GTX580 SLI."

I completely agree. This makes it even more retarded that people are so concerned about putting in the best graphics card when a lot of them probably have a dual core still. If you don't have 4 cores, you won't probably won't be able to run this game good, even with something like a 580 or 6970.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 8:01:20 PM

If you had a dual core a GTX580 or 6970 would get severely bottlenecked.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 8:53:06 PM

Yet some people make threads saying they need a new graphics card for BF3, and want the best one available, without ever stating the rest of their specs. Chances are some of those people have dual cores.

Oh well, hopefully they all realize this before it's too late and they waste money, otherwise they will realize once the game releases.

I'll stop derailing the thread now :( 
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 8:54:00 PM

OP has never responded.
m
l
September 6, 2011 9:17:58 PM

My system ran the alpha "maxed" (not much choice there), 1920x1080 between 40 and 60 FPS on average...give or take a few here and their depending on what was happening. I was under the impression the game was in DX9 though, not 11 during the alpha.

Core i7-860 @ 3.8ghz
8gb DDR3 @ 1448mhz
GTX580 (very lightly OC'd)
Win 7 64bit on 1T WD Black

So you can use that as a point of reference. I plan on seeing how the final product runs with newer drivers before I make an decisions to change my system or not.

Best,

3Ball
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 6:39:14 AM

3Ball said:
My system ran the alpha "maxed" (not much choice there), 1920x1080 between 40 and 60 FPS on average...give or take a few here and their depending on what was happening. I was under the impression the game was in DX9 though, not 11 during the alpha.

Core i7-860 @ 3.8ghz
8gb DDR3 @ 1448mhz
GTX580 (very lightly OC'd)
Win 7 64bit on 1T WD Black

So you can use that as a point of reference. I plan on seeing how the final product runs with newer drivers before I make an decisions to change my system or not.

Best,

3Ball

According to the alpha tral benchmark website your 580 was running it in dx 11.DX 11 is available right in the alpha trial
m
l
September 7, 2011 4:30:55 PM

trogdor796 said:
Yet some people make threads saying they need a new graphics card for BF3, and want the best one available, without ever stating the rest of their specs. Chances are some of those people have dual cores.

Oh well, hopefully they all realize this before it's too late and they waste money, otherwise they will realize once the game releases.

I'll stop derailing the thread now :( 

you just frwaked me out. will it be ok with 13 2100 on 1650*1020 ie. HD 6850
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 5:19:00 PM

Harith Aslam said:
you just frwaked me out. will it be ok with 13 2100 on 1650*1020 ie. HD 6850

You can probably play it, but it would help if you had a quad core. The engine it runs on really needs a quad to run properly at higher settings and to handle the destruction and everything.

If you can run BC2 you will probably be able to run BF3, you will just have to lower settings a bit. But we have to wait till it comes out to be sure.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 5:53:20 PM

^+1

The 2100 is actually a little beat of a gaming machine.It does as well as a Phenom ii x4 in games.You should fare well in BF3 but as trogdor said it requires a real quad core to get the most out of it.
m
l
!