Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Case modding help.

Last response: in Components
February 4, 2012 12:53:49 AM

Hello, i have an old gateway case id like to mod the only problem though is that it mounts a sfx power supply and the i/o shield is pre cut into the case its self so how would i do a good job at cutting out the power supply for a standard atx power supply and the same for the i/ o shield

sorry for the sloppyness of this text :/ 

More about : case modding

a c 110 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 2:53:51 AM

Buy a new case...
Score
February 4, 2012 11:53:26 AM

amuffin said:
Buy a new case...

no, i love the styling of the case its beige, really big, and has my favorite brand on it.(gateway) its a gateway select 700 case
Score
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 12:46:47 PM

not sure on the psu part without looking around,
but the I/o shield that comes with your new Mobo,
put it onto the mobo (between the mobo and case as you put the mobo in) and mount into the correct place on the standoffs, then slide the shield towards the existing cutouts, this will allow you to mark up where to dremel out for the new shield,
it will obviously be a rectangular cut and the new shield will slot in nicely with all the ports correctly lined up
Moto
Score
February 4, 2012 1:26:21 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
not sure on the psu part without looking around,
but the I/o shield that comes with your new Mobo,
put it onto the mobo (between the mobo and case as you put the mobo in) and mount into the correct place on the standoffs, then slide the shield towards the existing cutouts, this will allow you to mark up where to dremel out for the new shield,
it will obviously be a rectangular cut and the new shield will slot in nicely with all the ports correctly lined up
Moto

Im not a n00b, but any ways what about the power supply its supposed to mount a SFX power supply which is a good bit smaller than a ATX power supply
Score
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 2:00:42 PM

Are there tabs to hold the sfx in place? maybe removing those/ bending them back would do it, could you post a couple of pics for me?
rear and internal shots if ye can,
Moto
Score
February 4, 2012 3:28:10 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Are there tabs to hold the sfx in place? maybe removing those/ bending them back would do it, could you post a couple of pics for me?
rear and internal shots if ye can,
Moto

The power supply screws directly into the back of the case, so bacily what you do to install a power supply is you put it up againt the side of the case and screw it down so that its suspended by the back of the case can you not look up pictures of the case its a gateway select or essentials (they are pertty much the same)
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 4:05:50 PM

All I could find was an old tv add . I'm sure one of these veterens can find it though . That being said I agree with the others . Time to dust off the dremel . With out a clear image to look at I'm flying blind but a dremel , some angle aluminium , and rivots can fix almost anything . Good luck with the build !
Score
February 4, 2012 5:18:05 PM

rufus_22 said:
All I could find was an old tv add . I'm sure one of these veterens can find it though . That being said I agree with the others . Time to dust off the dremel . With out a clear image to look at I'm flying blind but a dremel , some angle aluminium , and rivots can fix almost anything . Good luck with the build !

Well, i dont have a dremel but i do have a small air tool like a dremel i think it will work
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 5:29:49 PM

Lol , the good thing about dremel's is that someone you know has one . If you can get a hold of one , all youll need additionally is a cordless drill , bits , and a rivot gun , a file . " never buy when you barrow " . good luck
Score
February 4, 2012 6:28:03 PM

rufus_22 said:
Lol , the good thing about dremel's is that someone you know has one . If you can get a hold of one , all youll need additionally is a cordless drill , bits , and a rivot gun , a file . " never buy when you barrow " . good luck

I found some decent pictures of the case i have on another forum site but i don't think i can post the link here
Score

Best solution

February 4, 2012 6:46:32 PM

That the one?

Anyhow, for opening up a place for your I/O shield, you can use Dremel-type tools, files, drills, jigsaws, disc saws, metal shears, metal nibblers, metal snips, and so forth. Please, please wear safety glasses!

For the PSU, you should be able to drill holes to mount it (im)properly. One alternative that I have done on two cases is externally mounting the PSU. I just screwed/bolted the ATX PSU to the back of the case, with the cables going through the cavity left for the PSU on the case. Works a treat! Plus, the heat is further isolated from the other components!
a c 134 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 7:00:55 PM

gatewayuser200 said:
no, i love the styling of the case its beige, really big, and has my favorite brand on it.(gateway) its a gateway select 700 case

Can't be as pretty as these ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I can't see a case w/o a front USB 3 port and the cooling / air flow on that case looks rather limited.
Score
February 4, 2012 7:09:02 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Can't be as pretty as these ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I can't see a case w/o a front USB 3 port and the cooling / air flow on that case looks rather limited.

usb ports on the front is for lazy people and i dont really care about air flow and yes i know it matters
Score
February 4, 2012 7:22:16 PM

don't listen to the nay sayers. If it's what you want to mod then mod it. This is no different than someone modding an 80's apple or C64 to handle modern hardware, except it's probably easier and not as "cool". Either way though, it's a retro mod and will show off your modding skills when completed. As for the front USB ports or airflow, if you want, that can be part of the mod. especially the USB ports considering there are lenty of 3.5" adapters if your so inclined. sorry I don't have any real suggestions, but good luck to you
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2012 12:23:01 AM

I agree to a point with mhokett . Point being while I appreciate your quirky facination with that dinosaur . I think one of two options would be prudent : Some mods and a paintjob. Or .... well there really isnt a second option . good luck and have fun !
Score
February 5, 2012 12:52:40 AM

rufus_22 said:
I agree to a point with mhokett . Point being while I appreciate your quirky facination with that dinosaur . I think one of two options would be prudent : Some mods and a paintjob. Or .... well there really isnt a second option . good luck and have fun !

whats so werid about liking an old case, and im not going to paint its going to be beige :D 
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2012 9:37:06 AM

Hey it's all subjective I guess . If thats your look then enjoy it . I give you points for straying from the herd . Have fun with it .
Score
February 5, 2012 9:49:23 AM

Best answer selected by gatewayuser200.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2012 11:57:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!