Sapphire Vaporx 4890 crossfire compatibility

ethilen

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
hi guys,,,,i have decided to buy my friend's Asus 4890 to crossfire it with my own Sapphire vapor-x 4890,,,,Is there any problem with compatibility? should the 2 cards be exactly the same? I have a 600W coolermaster silentpro which supports SLI and I am to some extent sure that I'll have no problem in crossfiring them,or will I? please help me

Uhm... The Vapor-X version has higher clocks if I recall correctly. Before setting up the XFire with the cards, make sure they're working at the same Memory and GPU speed.

Also, like you mention, the 600W PSU might be cutting it close... The 4890 is a power hog (got one), so you'll be using a LOT of juice to power up 2 of them.

According to CM's page, your PSU gives 40A on the 12V, so you'll be very close... Each card might draw near 15A (pcie + 2x 6pin each) leaving you with little room for other components. In theory could work, though.

You can safely test the set up without frying the cards nor the PSU, MoBo, etc. The card that doesn't get enough juice will complain and don't start at all. Done it myself.

Cheers!

ethilen

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

could you please tell me how to test it when I install it?
and I have also Core i7-2600k and 8 gig Corsair vengeance along with ASUS P8P67 Deluxe,1 TB Western Digital Hard Drive and 1 DVD writer and 4 stock fans which are huge fans

Just install the cards and do a regular boot to the system. If the video card doesn't do anything (fan not starting, lights on the video card or beeping MoBo) it means you need more juice.

About the power... The CPU is the next biggest power thing your computer has, but looks like you're good on that front. RAM is marginal, FANs are marginal (even 120mm) and 1 HDD/DVDR won't make a difference. Uhm... I could do the math, but I'm being lazy at the moment, so spare me that :p

Cheers!

ethilen

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

thank you so much,,,,now i am much relieved