Currently Have Integrated, considering HD6850/70 and 560TI

ontheinterwebs

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello all, I'm looking to upgrade (this week) from my current intergrated (HD4200) graphics and was wondering which route I should go. I've been researching a bit but I must admit I'm a total novice when it comes to overclocking and the more advance things that can be done to gpus. My budget range is about 160$ to 230$. I was looking at the 6850 and 70, more recently the 560ti because these cards seemingly perform very well for the price, but if you have any other suggestions feel free to let know! I'd really appreciate any advice or help anyone can give.

From here on I'll just use the format the forum's FAQ provides to stop me from babbling too much.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I'm buying this card mainly for gaming, I'd like the ability to play recent games (crysis 2, the witcher, deus ex)--and upcoming ones (such as Rage and BF3)-- at high, or very high, on a 1080p resolution. I also do Video editing for short/independent films, mostly with sony vegas but might get into premiere in the future, if the card could help out with that I'd consider it a good bonus. Home theater and such isn't really much of a concern.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: As stated before I'm currently using intergrated HD4200 graphics, with a 900W rocketfish power supply.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I'm rockin' a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor, 6 Core at stock 2.8 GHZ. The motherboard is an Asus M4a785-m, and I currently have 4GBs of Ram Installed.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I really like Amazon and Newegg, but I'm open to any non-shady website really.

PARTS PREFERENCES: As said before I'm a total novice when it comes to recent cards, I have no real preference, I just want the best price for performance card that can meet my goals.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but in the immediate future I don't think I'm ready for that.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I suppose I really need the cooling on the card to be quite efficient, my room runs quite hot naturally. Thanks again for any advice you can give, I won't just lurk and will respond to any questions you'd need to help me out.

Solution
yes the fans are more than well equiped my card holds a 1ghz oc and the temps never exceed 70c which is amazing given the overclock imo, that is the asus dc2 model btw
The pick here is between the nVidia 560 and the Radeon 6870. The 6870 is a bit more powerful but is also a bit more expensive. At your resolution, I think both cards will perform the same, but a 6870 will give you a bit more future game headroom in performance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102925

If you can go up a bit to your max price, a 6950 will give you pretty much max details in any game at your resolutions, and will have room to grow for several years. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385 looks good, but really any of the high rated cards will do.

ontheinterwebs

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Thank you for your answer! I have a question though, what gives the 6870 more headroom? I actually thought it was the opposite with the 560ti getting a bit more performance (in most games) and headroom due to it's good tessellation support, however I am a total noob so maybe I just haven't been researching enough.

ontheinterwebs

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Interesting...so how difficult would it be to overclock that card? Would the fans that come with those models be sufficient for the extra heat OC'ing will cause? Thanks for your input.

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I read this last post and was a little surprised, 70C seems high. My cheaper system never gets above 50C. My more expensive system never gets above 40C.

A friend was overheating his processor at 60C because he put too much heat sink compound on it.

An associate asked me to fix their computer once and I found a Hard Drive with melted potting compound on it, indicating excessive overheating and that was a family computer with integrated graphics and one fan.

If you subject your devices to 70C for too long they will cease to function.