Sign in with
Your question

Going for Gaming Build - What card should I go with

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2011 6:29:34 PM

title, I'm looking for some of the best performance I can get, some things you might want to know

-I plan on going dual GPU at some point, but I can't from the start.
-I if you go below 6970, or 570, I would like to know how much different the cards are
-My budget is 2000 and below, and I need a monitor, so keep that in mind if you try to slip two cards in

-I want to play high end games on near max to max on a 24 inch 1900-1200 monitor

More about : gaming build card

September 6, 2011 6:43:36 PM

You could buy a 6950 and you can flash the bios safely giving you a 6970,same number of stream processors and you can even return it to its original 6950 setting without harming the card.If you search on the net you will find out how to do it.That will save you some money.As for a monitor,depends if your a FPS addict lol,i have to use Vsync on every game i play because i get screen tear,my refresh rate is only 60Mhz,so if its FPS your after you should look at a True 120Hz monitor,they are not that expencive tbh.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 6:48:11 PM

Well personally i wouldn't build a PC at the moment I would wait for Bulldozer from AMD and then make a decision.

If i did build now i would base the build around a AM3+ Motherboard and a fast Quad Phenom 955 or some such. That way the upgrade to Bulldozer is open .

Graphics wise i would probably opt for something like a 560 Ti,one of the better ones like the Direct CU from ASUS or a 6950

Here is a decent review that includes the performance of many different cards http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_560...

Mactronix :) 
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 6:50:29 PM

A couple of quick things
#1: What is bulldozer?
#2 link to a good motherboard?
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:53:13 PM

Bulldozer is AMD`s next gen CPU`s
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:55:18 PM

Could I have a link to some articles on it?
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 7:52:43 PM

This link is German so you will need to translate it with Google or some such but its pretty thorough http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/35954/

The board linked is a pretty decent board. I don't know but just wanted to say that you should check what you may be missing by going for a non native socket that can upgrade to use newer tech.
As i said i have yet to check with Bulldozer but you sometimes loose some functionality going that route, Its usually nothing that relevant, but as we don't actually know what Bulldozer is yet and quite how it works, as its a completely new architecture, i just wanted to make you aware of the possibility of the issue.
its probably not an issue but just so you have all the info.

m
l
September 6, 2011 9:51:29 PM

bulldozer may be released on the 19th of sept or sometime in nov, there are conflicting reports.
I have a feeling bulldozer will not be as fast as sandy bridge. It will be a lot better then their current architecture and may come close in some benchmarks, but I think sandy bridge will be best still.
I would say to wait also because the release of bulldozer will push prices down all around, but if you had to build a system now I would say to build a 2500k/z68 board system. You can always upgrade the cpu to Ivy bridge when they come out in march/april.
m
l
September 7, 2011 6:30:09 PM

mactronix said:
This link is German so you will need to translate it with Google or some such but its pretty thorough http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/35954/

The board linked is a pretty decent board. I don't know but just wanted to say that you should check what you may be missing by going for a non native socket that can upgrade to use newer tech.
As i said i have yet to check with Bulldozer but you sometimes loose some functionality going that route, Its usually nothing that relevant, but as we don't actually know what Bulldozer is yet and quite how it works, as its a completely new architecture, i just wanted to make you aware of the possibility of the issue.
its probably not an issue but just so you have all the info.

I dont think there will be any issues but it is a good point you make,there are brand new AM3+ boards on that site that i linked which say that they are compatible with AM3+ FX but it cannot hurt to check it out first just to be sure. Do you know what kind of performance gain the new CPU`s have over the Phenom II by any chance.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 7:35:49 AM

No i don't have any info other than what is already known, I know there are differences with the sockets but if there are any that make a difference worth talking about performance wise, that i don't know.
Here is some technical stuff http://www.techpowerup.com/144725/ASRock-Uses-Real-AM3+...

m
l
September 8, 2011 6:05:32 PM

Thanks for the link mactronix,as a AMD fan it made for some interesting reading,its certainly changed the out come of my impending upgrade.
Cheers
m
l
!