Sign in with
Your question

Asus X58 Sabertooth, card for sata 6Gbs

Last response: in Motherboards
December 7, 2012 5:28:45 PM

Hi, I have an Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo that has 2x 6Gbs ports which I have filled and want to add another 6Gbs HDD. My cpu is Intel i950 with a Marvel 88SE9128 6Gbs controller. Does anyone know of a card that I can plug in that is compatible with the X58 and the Marvel controller? I've seen the Asus u3s6 card but it doesn't mention the X58 mobo and also doesn't seem to be available anymore. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.
a c 100 Ĉ ASUS
a c 522 V Motherboard
December 7, 2012 5:41:06 PM

You don't need any control card for other HDD, just connect the HDD into other SATAII ports and you will be fine. The SATA 3 is necessary for high-bandwidth devices, such as SSDs.
m
l
December 8, 2012 12:44:00 PM

cin19, thank you for your answer. Could you enlighten me further? I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area. I'm using WD Caviar Blacks which claim to use the high bandwidth offered by the sata 3 ports. I've been using one for OS and other software programs (I do heavy photo editing and raw conversions) and the other, plus several external HDDs, for photo storage and backup. I just figured if the sata 3 ports will give me optimum performance i would take advantage of it if possible. If I use the sata II port will I notice any slow down when writing large amounts of data (anywhere from 3-10 Gbs at a time) to it? And, to the original question, if I do, is there a card available to expand the sata 3 funtionality of this mobo? Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 Ĉ ASUS
a c 522 V Motherboard
December 8, 2012 5:41:25 PM

Sorry, I don't know you use the PC for the photo editing. So you do need the card for it because you have more than 4 HDDs. And I don't use the SATA controller card so that I can't make the comment.

But if you want to run the PS most performance, you need fast CPU, max of RAM, large and fast hard drive (HDD or SSD).

So you have good CPU, and I don't know how much RAM you have. But you can watch the Efficiency indicator while you work in Photoshop. If the Efficiency value is below 100%, Photoshop is using the scratch disk. If the efficiency is less than 90%, add additional RAM to your system. The X58 use the triple channel RAM so you need add 3x4GB or 3X8GB RAM.

And other like Scratch Disks, to reduce the history states number, change Virtual Memory , and etc.

And by the way, when you buy those add-in card you need do you own research, some of comments from the buyer are not correct and don't make sense. It is available anymore. You can buy the separate USB3 and SATAIII add-in cards too.
m
l
December 8, 2012 6:15:44 PM

cin19 said:
Sorry, I don't know you use the PC for the photo editing. So you do need the card for it because you have more than 4 HDDs. And I don't use the SATA controller card so that I can't make the comment.

But if you want to run the PS most performance, you need fast CPU, max of RAM, large and fast hard drive (HDD or SSD).

So you have good CPU, and I don't know how much RAM you have. But you can watch the Efficiency indicator while you work in Photoshop. If the Efficiency value is below 100%, Photoshop is using the scratch disk. If the efficiency is less than 90%, add additional RAM to your system. The X58 use the triple channel RAM so you need add 3x4GB or 3X8GB RAM.

And other like Scratch Disks, to reduce the history states number, change Virtual Memory , and etc.

And by the way, when you buy those add-in card you need do you own research, some of comments from the buyer are not correct and don't make sense. It is available anymore. You can buy the separate USB3 and SATAIII add-in cards too.

Thanks, cin19. I'll keep looking for info on cards so I can take advantage of bandwidth. I have 24Gs of ram (windows pro) that I find invaluable for cache when juggling several large (3-8 Gbs) folders. My editor loads the last ones I've used into cache on startup and I don't have to wait when switching back and forth. It takes a bit longer to startup but really saves time once I'm editing. Someday SSDs will be cheap enough and be large enough to change all of this but ubtil then I'll go this way. Thanks again.
m
l
!