Sign in with
Your question

Ram suggestions for HP xw6600

Last response: in Motherboards
December 7, 2012 6:57:52 PM

Does anyone have any suggestion of good but affordable ram for board 439240-001 that I got from a hp xw6600?

More about : ram suggestions xw6600

December 7, 2012 10:07:48 PM

It says it takes 667 MHz DDR2, 8 DIMM slots, the thing I was really wondering is if it has to have the pc-5300f fully buffered ECC ram or if I can could possibly use unbuffered non-ecc non registered ram in it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b α HP
December 7, 2012 11:01:44 PM

deityshadiw said:
sorry for the triple post, specifically would this ram work:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
it's Crucial 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz Memory

I couldn't find a manual, but here's some info:

1. Verify the MAXIMUM amount of RAM per slot.

2. It PROBABLY works best in PAIRS.

3. You NEED the motherboard manual because it tells you which slots you can stick the RAM in. If you only add two sticks it's likely ONLY specific slots work.

4. Use the SAME RAM if possible to avoid issues.

5. Make sure the motherboard BIOS is up to date.

6. If you use more than 4GB you require a 64-bit Operating System.

7. DDR2 is a standard. Any DDR2 desktop RAM will work so your choice appears fine.

*I'm not sure how you got this board, but it's a non-typical motherboard designed for Workstation tasks which are processing intensive and require lots of RAM (thus the 2 CPU slots and 8 RAM slots). The fact that you are asking about which RAM works makes me wonder how you intend to use it.

If you are building a normal Windows gaming PC this isn't really the way to go. I'm also not sure what CPU this uses since I can't find the motherboard but it might not be designed with gaming in mind either.

Cheers.
m
l
December 8, 2012 12:09:19 AM

It uses xeon 5400 hundred series, I intend to use dual xeon x5460 and use all ram slots making it 16gb. It specifically uses a max of 4gb per slot maxing up to 32 GB. I got it from a friend who bought an hp xw6600 from eBay for like 90$. I also plan to put a geforce gtx 560 or 570 a USB 3.0 pcie card with an internal 20 pin slot a 1100 watt PSU, all crammed in an HAF X with three 200mm fans a 230mm a 140mm and a 120mm. I plan on using it as my home workstation, for 3D graphic design and animation, software design, to plug into my home studio via the usb 3.0 and recording music and of course for gaming. I understand it's a bit overkill for gaming but for the other stuff it suits perfectly.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2012 2:31:30 AM

Crucial.com has a great database of almost every machine ever made and it will tell you the right product to buy. Check out their site (and crucial makes great, RAM, too (micron).

m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b α HP
December 8, 2012 10:46:18 PM

deityshadiw said:
It uses xeon 5400 hundred series, I intend to use dual xeon x5460 and use all ram slots making it 16gb. It specifically uses a max of 4gb per slot maxing up to 32 GB. I got it from a friend who bought an hp xw6600 from eBay for like 90$. I also plan to put a geforce gtx 560 or 570 a USB 3.0 pcie card with an internal 20 pin slot a 1100 watt PSU, all crammed in an HAF X with three 200mm fans a 230mm a 140mm and a 120mm. I plan on using it as my home workstation, for 3D graphic design and animation, software design, to plug into my home studio via the usb 3.0 and recording music and of course for gaming. I understand it's a bit overkill for gaming but for the other stuff it suits perfectly.

It's probably not a very good idea to build a computer with this board.

- Xeon processors are not designed for gaming
- DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3

You really need to look carefully at the COST of your system as you may be paying MORE for something that isn't as GOOD as what you can build now.

For example, I recommend you build your rig based on this:

1) 1155/Z77 motherboard
2) i5-3570K Intel CPU
3) 16GB DDR3 1600MHz

You can buy all these components for roughly $400.

*So it's $80 for 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and about $240 for the same DDR2 that is SLOWER as well. You may wish to compare CPU processing power as well but I think you'll find building the system based on that motherboard is a LOSE-LOSE proposition. In other words, more money, less processing power, less compatibility etc.
m
l
May 3, 2013 1:09:18 PM

I've decided to donate it to my shop and we are using it as a cloud server, thanks for all your helpful responses.
m
l
!