Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Question?

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2011 6:27:16 AM

I been looking to add more storage space to my computer threw an internal and external hard drives. Looking at both I found sometimes the external hard drive for the same space is cheaper than an internal one. I know the external hard drives are usually slower spins but comparing for example a western external for 3tb maybe 200 while the western green hard drive (which I know are slow but this is for video/archive data) is 250 to 300. Is there anything else im missing? I'm tempted to buy two externals and just rip one apart and put the hard drive in my computer. Any help greatly appreciated.

More about : hard drive question

a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 6:39:55 AM

Seems like they will be different drives for the $50 difference - maybe no SATA interface, lower data rate because not needed for USB?
m
l
November 4, 2011 6:59:00 AM

They do tend to put slower drives in external casings, but if it is purely only for data storage and not running or loading programs off it I would say go for it and save the $50.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 7:27:47 AM

Usually its the other way around. The casing, cables, power supply if needed all cost money. Intel drives are nearly always cheaper then external. Here in the USA at least.

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure it's a SATA drive inside. Unless you have IDE ports.
m
l
November 4, 2011 7:36:42 AM

You don't have room in your computer case for 2 more hard drives or have the SATA connections?
m
l
November 4, 2011 8:08:56 AM

4745454b said:
Usually its the other way around. The casing, cables, power supply if needed all cost money. Intel drives are nearly always cheaper then external. Here in the USA at least.

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure it's a SATA drive inside. Unless you have IDE ports.

Here are the two hard drives in question (meant to link them before)

Western Digital My Book Essential 3 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Essential-Desktop...

Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB 5400 RPM SATA III 64 MB
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desk...

DelroyMonjo said:
You don't have room in your computer case for 2 more hard drives or have the SATA connections?

I do have room for multiple harddrive. I like to have my video media on an external just for portability (friends borrow), but recently with my new build i have begun to rip dvds in video ts structure and need space for backing up. So the idea is to have all video on external (backup) and internal (just for the sake of physical space on desk). So I was just checking to see if there was any difference between the actual hard drive in an external versus buying an internal hard drive. I figure the external hard drive would be a bit slower but not noticeable for media.
m
l
!