Nvidia Kepler - What should I do

adrennn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Well, nvidia has me between a rock and a hard place right now... I really want a new pc for battlefield 3, but Kepler doesn't arrive until Febuary - June. Do you think I should go for the 580 now, or wait 'till then.
I am currently leaning towards getting one now, because we don't know how stable it will be at launch, usually you should wait about 6 months

What do you think?

On the new release of Nvidia's cards I always wait for a couple of driver releases before I jump in. That way the card is a little more stable and the drivers are a little more mature. It sometimes takes a couple months for bugs to show up. It is very hard to buy the 580 now with the new release so close but you are still getting a very powerful video card that will last quite a while. If you opt to buy now consider the 3 gb version of the 580 , only a few dollers more but the extra video ram helps with the higher resolutions and AA.

cuecuemore

Distinguished

For a very few games, only one I know of, that being AvP. It uses ~2.4 GB VRAM maxed out at 1080p. Most other VRAM hungry titles use a little more than 1 GB at this point in time.

I like the cards from Evga , it is a great company and they stand behind thier product 100%. I have RMA'd several cards to them and got new cards sent back no questions, no hassels. As far as games needing 3 gb I was suggesting it more as future proof if you were to go with one now. Who knows you may buy a 30" monitor and decide to game at 2500x1600 and you will definatly need the 3gb.

cuecuemore

Distinguished

If history repeats itself, the price drops will be 20-30% when Kepler comes out, but that will still leave Kepler as a better value.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
I would get the GTX 580. It will last quite awhile. Performance gain will be about 10% to 20% from Fermi to Kepler, but as long as your games are getting 60FPS (or at least what ever you find playable), then that's all that matters. If you really want to play BF3 with playable FPS and wait for Kepler, just get a GTX 460 1GB or 2GB (the cheapest GTX 480 on Newegg is around $220, which is a great deal, but that thing heats up and can get loud).

adrennn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Anyone wanna take a stab at the pricepoint for Kepler?
TBH, 75 bucks is worth not waiting 6 months for the price to drop.
ALSO, how much more powerful will ivy bridge be then sandy bridge?

My final question is, would an i5 2500k+ GTX 580 be ok for another 4 years before upgrade is needed?

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

I would guess that the starting price for Kepler cards will be the same as the 500 series when they first came out. Getting teh 580 right now would not be a bad option as it is a pretty strong card. If you get the 580, I would say you will be set for quite a while, but this would depend on what kinds of games you play. If you are benchmarking the latest games on insane resolutions, then no, your setup would not be able to last you 4 years before you upgrade. How long you want to wait till you upgrade again is totally up to what you plan on doing with the computer.

Well here's the problem with that question , for the most part game developers will probably be putting out games for the next 4 years the you will be fine playing with that setup but then there will be that one developer that puts out this killer game that requires serius newer hardware and that will be the one game that you absolutly have to have. So you may not get an acceptable answer to your final question.

Why don't you do something like this?

1) buy a GTX560Ti (still a high-end card)
2) replace it with a new 600 series that's faster when prices stabilize sometime in 2012 and SELL your GTX560Ti for at least $100

I'm not a fan of the GTX580 due to the amount of noise and heat, especially with 3GB of VRAM. I draw the line at the GTX570. Since most games look amazing with a GTX560Ti I'd rather have that than a faster card for a little bit better graphics but far more noise.

FYI, I've read a lot, and as a tech I believe that the new graphics cards will perform at almost exactly 2x the performance for the same Wattage which is very significant. The actual GPU may be better than this but we need to add in the rest of the card.