Graphic card causing pc to not start

wallnutsy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
My pc would not boot with my graphic card card installed....it will jus spin for like 1/2 second and stop ..incluing cpu fan. Now i disabled my onboard video and now its still the same..but worse since my onboard vid is off now i cant see anything and i cant use my graphic card because it wont start with the pc .Help
I tried: Clearing cmos by using jumpers
removing battery
New 650watt omega power supply
reseating cpu with new thermal paste

Solution

your chassis may have a speaker,if so you can try to plug it on your motherboard
but this is not the problem indeed. i think maybe some error of BIOS,you can set it default and reboot.

I also had this problem ever, i had got my 9800GT on my ausu p5kpl am se(G31) motherboard, and then set gfx option"IGD" and plug my vga-line onboard. when i start my system, the display show no signal after a short beep from motherboard. At last, i reset my bios by removing the BIOS battery and getting the jumper short-circuit , this problem had been solved.

glorym

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Do you plug your DVI line in the graphic card, plug it onboard is not working for your system. You can test your graphic card in another pc to make sure it's working. If so, check your PCIe slot or dusted. motherboard is firmness, hardly broken.

Chinese gay, English is not good.

glorym

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

Is there any beep from motherboard speaker? long or short..

You never stated what your graphics card was in the Pci-E slot, in any case if the card is a new one it may need an extra 12v power feed from your Psu.
If you do have that plugged in then it is a case of your PSU shutting its self down due to the power draw of the card putting too much load on the 12v rails of the PSU.

What you need to do is check how many amps the card needs to draw from the 12v rail of the PSU, then have a look at the combined 12v rail amps, the PSU can put out Max. If the amp draw is too much you can bet the problem is the PSU.

wallnutsy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
The card is kinda old and doesnt require a 6pin plug..its nvidia 9500gt and yes it is in the pci-e slot. And for my psu its a new omega 650watt psu replacing my old 600wattt psu from before....ugh i need help really bad

I would see if you can test the card in another system in that case see if it is the problem as to the cause of the pc not booting.
The card could be dead.
The only other thing I could think of is that while installing your new PSU you forgot to plug in the extra 4 pin 12v you will find near the CPU. I do know when it is not plugged in by what your saying this can happen, where the pc will boot for a second then shut down. from what I remember it was there to power the Cpu, and provide a bit of extra power to the Pci-e slot.

wallnutsy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
hmm okay...i havent tried the card in a different system yet...but nevertheless even without the card in the system the fans WILL spin (cpu fans and case fans and everything wil come on and stay on) but there is no display from the onboard . I disabled onboard video when i was putting in the video card. So what do i do now ?
Things I've tried: clearing cmos
New psu,reseating cpu and heatsink with new thermal paste

glorym

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

your chassis may have a speaker,if so you can try to plug it on your motherboard
but this is not the problem indeed. i think maybe some error of BIOS,you can set it default and reboot.

I also had this problem ever, i had got my 9800GT on my ausu p5kpl am se(G31) motherboard, and then set gfx option"IGD" and plug my vga-line onboard. when i start my system, the display show no signal after a short beep from motherboard. At last, i reset my bios by removing the BIOS battery and getting the jumper short-circuit , this problem had been solved.

Solution

wallnutsy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
well how do i plug the speaker into the motherboard..what cable do i get ..how do i set it up. I tried removing the battery but nothing changed and i moved the jumpers before but u stated short circuiting the jumpers.....how do i get the jumper short circuited....im a noob ..

glorym

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

you should:
1.make sure your vga-cable plug in your graphic card, not onboard;
2.remove the computer AC power;
3.clear BIOS.

There is the tips from P5KPL usr manual,you can download it on-line:
To erase the RTC RAM:
1.turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2.remove the onboard battery.
3.move the jumper cap from pins 1-2(default) to pins 2-3. keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5-1- seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
4.reinstall the battery.
5.plug the power cord and turn on the computer.
6.hold down the <del> key during the boot process and enter bios setup to re-enter data.
THE jumper cap is on the right of the battery and power on indicator. show on the picture next if the pic site work..
p_large_2iPW_065c0000f1a55c6f.jpg[img]